University Archive
Virginia Tech

1908 Campus Map

The map shows the location of buildings on the Virginia Tech campus in February 1908. The shaded buildings, identified with circled numbers, still stand in some form on the campus. The solid black buildings, identified with capital letters, are gone. The area marked "Drill Field" was not called by that name until 1926.

Buildings Still Standing


1---Barracks No. 1 (Completed 1888; now known as Lane Hall) 2---Barracks No. 2 (Completed 1894; now known as old section of Rasche Dormitory) 3---Barracks No. 3 (Completed 1900; now known as old section of Brodie Dormitory) 4---Barracks No. 4 (Completed 1902; now known as old section of Shanks Dormitory) 5---Barracks No. 5 (Completed 1904; now known as old section of Major Williams Dormitory) 6---YMCA (Completed 1899; later known as Military Building; Student Personnel Building; Performing Arts Building) 7---Laundry (Completed 1903; now known as Building 201, housing the University's Security Division) 8---Infirmary (One section completed 1876 for use as the President's Home; converted to infirmary with completion of a second wing in 1902; both early wings are now known as the old section of Henderson Hall) 9---Agricultural Hall (Completed 1907; now known as Price)

Buildings No Longer Standing

A---Preston and Olin Building (The firs and only building on campus until 1896; burned down in 1913.) B---Foundry/Forge Shop (Built 1982; razed 1917) C---Steam Laundry (Wooden building; used earlier as machine shop) D---Pavillion (Used at various times as drill hall, assembly hall, mess hall, gymnasium, dance hall; torn down in 1940) E---Mess Hall (Known at times as Commencement Hall, German Hall, and Commerce Hall; razed in 1957) F---Commandant's House (Originally built for Prof. John E. Christian; torn down in 1962) G---Powder Magazine (Used to store ammunition for cadet training) H---Chapel (Used at various times as auditorium, dance hall, gymnasium, and finally as the College Library. After the building burned in 1953 the present library was built on the site) I---Gibboney Field (Track , baseball, and football; originally called Sheib Field; name changed to Miles Field in 1909) J---Bleachers (Torn when Miles Stadium opened in 1926) K---Greenhouses L---Creamery M---Horticulture Hall (Built in 1890 for Agriculture Experiment Station; also used at various times by the Agricultural Extension Division, several academic departments, and by women students was torn down in 1936 to make way for approaches to Burruss Hall) N---Administration Building (Used earlier as a residence for Prof. William B. Alwood; destroyed by fire in 1900; rebuilt in 1904 as an administration building) O---Second Academic Building (Razed in 1957 to make way for the new section of Brodie Dormitory; contained College Library from 1877-1914) P---First Academic Building (First major building built by the new College; used at various times for administrative offices and the mess hall in addition to academic departments; razed in 1957 to make way for new section of Rasche) Q---Science Hall (Mostly destroyed by fire in 1905; rebuilt that year; remodeled as Barraks No. 7 in 1927; razed in 1957 to make way for new section of Shanks Dormitory) R---Power House (Completed during 1900 for use as heating and electric power plant; Thomas Dormitory now occupies the site) S---Marks the site of the wooden Field House (Built in 1914; burned down in 1923)


Source: Jenkins MIkell Robertson (compiler and editor), Historical Data Book: Centennial Edition (Blacksburg, Va, 1972), Bulletin vol. 65, no. 4, April 1972.