|University Archives of Virginia Tech|
Virginia Tech Historical Data Book, Section 6.2:
The campus at Blacksburg includes approximately 2,300 acres. In addition, there are about 600 acres of adjoining farm land under long-term lease. The university also owns about 1,390 acres of nearby mountain land and mineral rights on about 1,300 other acres.
UNIVERSITY RESEARCH PARK - The University owns and operates, through the VPI Educational Foundation Inc., a 165-acre development, University Research Park, located about one mile east of the campus on U.S. 460. Land for the park, which is being developed for scientific and technical industries, was acquired in the spring of 1963. An aluminum ball bearing plant of the Federal-Mogul Corp., first occupant of the Research Park, began operations in 1971.
VPI&SU INDUSTRY CENTER - TRW Inc., a Cleveland, Ohio, firm, donated its industrial hazardous testing center near Rocky Mount, Va., to the university in March 1967. In addition to several buildings, the facility includes 1,050 acres of land astride the Black Water River. The Industry Center is operated by the university's Research Division.
RESEARCH STATIONS - The university also operates, through the Research Division, about 6,640 acres of land at various agricultural research stations and laboratories throughout the state. These stations, the year operations began, and the acreage at each are: Chatham (1906), 50.4; Southside Virginia Research Station, Charlotte Court House (1913), 35; Tidewater Research Station, Holland (1914), 174; Southwest Virginia Research Station, Emory (1921), 218; Winchester Research Laboratory (1921), 10; Piedmont Research Laboratory (1923) and Piedmont Research Station, Orange (1940), 43.18; Beef Cattle Research Station, Front Royal (1948), 4,222; Tobacco Disease Research Station, Chatham (1948), 76.8; Virginia Forage Research Station, Middleburg (1949), 420; Eastern Virginia Research Station, Warsaw (1950), 75; Shenandoah Valley Research Station, Steele's Tavern (1954), 616; Reynolds Homestead Reseach Center, Critz (1970), 700. The university also cooperates with the Virginia State College Research Station in Petersburg.
VT History | Digital Library and Archives | Special Collections | University Archives
Send questions or comments to:
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
P.O. Box 90001
Blacksburg, VA, 24062-9001
Last Modified on: Tuesday, 25-Sep-2001 08:16:08 EDT