|University Archives of Virginia Tech|
Virginia Tech Historical Data Book, Section 6.5:
The following list of buildings includes all major buildings existing and formerly existing on campus, with the exception of certain athletic facilities listed in the section above. Buildings no longer existing are listed in italics.
ACADEMIC BUILDINGS-(See First and Second Academic).
ADMINISTRATION-(See Rock House and Burruss Hall).
AGNEW-Academic building; completed September 1940; cost $42,525; 12,245 sq. ft. Named for Ella G. Agnew, founder of home demonstration work in Virginia. In addition to current use, housed home economics main offices until 1968.
ANAEROBIC BACTERIOLOGY LABORATORY-Construction begun 1969, completed 1970; 22,835 sq. ft.; cost $972,305; located north of Price's Fork Road, immediately east of U.S. 460 bypass.
AUDITORIUM (Old Stone)-(See Library, Old).
BARRINGER-Residence hall; occupied fall 1962; dedicated May 16, 1966. Cost: $729,244; 42,879 sq. ft.; houses 222. Named for Paul B. Barringer, sixth president, 1907-13.
BIOCHEMISTRY AND NUTRITION-Academics and laboratories; begun December 1959; completed summer 1961; dedicated Nov. 3, 1961. Cost $1,181,944; 45,737 sq. ft.
BRODIE-Residence hall; composed of an old section (Barracks No. 3) and a newer section built on site of Second Academic Building. Old section completed September 1900 at cost of $17,500; remodeled 1957-58 at cost of $165,476. New section completed summer 1957 at cost of $556,386; contains 65,037 sq. ft.; houses 338. Named for William M. Brodie, professor of mathematics and sometime commandant of cadets, 1901-32.
BROWN-(See Continuing Education Center).
BUILDING 253-Originally built as Extension Apartment House; completed 1921 at cost of $25,000. Remodeled 1963 for use as Women's Auxiliary Dormitory, housing 34 women students. Turned over to ROTC department 1966-67; used by Information Services 1967-68; for Student Union offices 1967-69; as offices for mathematics professors (1969, until burning down in spring 1971). Was located near College Avenue between Eggleston and the Continuing Education Center.
BUILDING 274 (President's Home)-Housed Tech presidents from the time John M. McBryde moved there in April 1902 until President T. Marshall Hahn moved to his privately built home in 1971. Presidents have since returned to living there. Contains 10,931 sq. ft.
BURRUSS-Administration and auditorium; consists of the original building, completed in June 1936 (cost $428,404; 77,080 sq. ft); a west wing and rear addition, built 1968, (cost $1,536,899; 60,503 sq. ft.) ; and an east wing, built 1970 (cost $593,729; 20,638 sq. ft.). Cornerstone of original building laid at 1935 commencement; first commencement held in 3,003-seat auditorium in June 1936. An electronic carillon, costing $28,000, installed in 1958 and dedicated at Homecoming 1958. Originally known as Teaching and Administration Building. Named for Julian Ashby Burruss, eighth president, 1919-45.
CAMPBELL-Residence hall; composed of two wings: west wing (Barracks No. 8) and east wing (Barracks No. 9). West wing completed 1930 at cost of $167,000. East wing completed 1940 at cost of $143,000. Building closed at end of fall of 1966 for renovation into a women's dormitory; renovation completed 1968 at cost of $665,451. Contains 67,993 sq. ft. Named for Thomas P. Campbell, former professor of modern languages and dean, 1892-1928.
CAROL M. NEWMAN-(See Library, Carol M. Newman).
CENTRAL STORES-A 20,240-sq.-ft. Central Stores Building (warehouse) was built in 1963 at a cost of $154,185: located east of Lane Stadium off South Gate Drive.
CHAPEL, NEW- (See Memorial Chapel).
CHAPEL, OLD-(See Library, Old) .
CHEATHAM-Academics; first phase completed 1971 for forestry and wildlife sciences; designed to accommodate two future additional floors; first phase cost $1,670,000; contains 56,010 sq. ft. Named for Julian N. Cheatham '33, executive vice president and a director of Georgia-Pacific Corp. and university benefactor.
COLISEUM-(See Athletic Facilites, above).
COMMENCEMENT HALL-Also know as Commerce Hall, German Hall, and Mess Hall at various times. Completed July 1894; torn down in 1957. Was located south of the "Pavilion" near present junction of Main Street and northeast corner of the Mall. Was of brick construction; orignal cost $15,000. Used as a mess hall (first floor) and for college exercises and entertainment (second floor). Enlarged in 1904-05 by an addition in the rear to the originial two stories. Remodeled in 1939 for business and renamed Commerce Hall (not to be confused with a later Commerce Hall, now Pamplin Hall).
COMMERCE HALL-(See Commencement Hall and Pamplin Hall).
CONTINUING EDUCATION CENTER (Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center)-Consists of a new section, completed in 1968, and an old section originally built in 1935 and know as Faculty Center (cost $178,721; 38,965 sq.ft.; mainly used as faculty apartments and public dining room until closed in spring 1965 for renovation into a wing of the Continuing Education Center). Construction on new center begun 1965; opened Jan. 2, 1968; dedicated May 13, 1968. Cost $1,806,703; contains 73,954 sq. ft. Contains 622-seat auditorium, 500 capacity dining room, seven 60-seat conference rooms, 123 double bedrooms, 18 single bedrooms. Named for (Frank) Donaldson Brown '02, former DuPont and General Motors executive and long-time benefactor of the university. Brown was also the youngest student ever to receive a degree from Tech, graduating with a B.S. In electrical engineering at the age of 17.
COWGILL-Academics and architecture administration; construction begun 1966; major work completed 1969; dedicated April 30, 1970. Cost $1,388,968; 68,417 sq. ft. Building represents first major departure from traditional neo-Gothic architecture in academic buildings on campus; first building expressly for architecture use. Named for Clinton H. Cowgill, founder and head of department of architectural engineering, 1928-56.
DAVIDSON-Academics and laboratories. Three floors of front section and part of two-story middle section completed 1928 at cost of $170,000; fourth floor front section and addition to middle section completed 1933 at cost of $60,000; three-story rear section completed 1938 at cost of $75,000; renovated 1964 ($282,209); additional renovation 1965 ($164,917). Named for R.J. Davidson, professor and dean of scientific department, 1891-1915.
DERRING-Academics; construction begun 1967; first phase completed 1969; dedicated Oct. 10, 1969. First phase contains 207,848 sq. ft.; cost $5,091,437. Named for Paul N. Derring, YMCA secretary, director of religious activities, student activities building manager, 1918-64.
DIETRICK-Dining hall; construction begun 1968; completed 1970; dedicated May 8, 1970. Contains 92,907 sq. ft.; cost $2,806,209. Capable of serving 3,000 at a single meal; contains four dining areas, snack shop, lounge area, central bake shop. Named for Leander B. Dietrick, former teacher, Extension director, agriculture dean, 1923-62.
DONALDSON BROWN-(See Continuing Education Center).
EGGLESTON-Residence hall; composed of three wings: east, main, and west. Main completed 1935; cost $171,899. West completed 1940; cost $138,264. East completed 1940; cost $103,430. Housed 648 male students until closed after fall 1965 for renovation into women's dormitory, housing 524. Renovation, completed in 1966, cost $741,564. Contains 109,530 sq. ft. Named for Joseph D. Eggleston, seventh president, 1913-19.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL BUILDING-(See Media Services).
FACULTY CENTER-(See Continuing Education Center).
FEMOYER-Residence hall; occupied fall 1949. Cost $401,888; 35,538 sq. ft.; houses 228. Named for 2nd Lt. Robert E. Femoyer '44, one of three World War II alumni recipients of Congressional Medal of Honor (posthumous).
FIELD HOUSE-(See Athletic Facilities, above).
FIRST ACADEMIC BUILDING-Cornerstone laid Aug. 12, 1875. Occupied Oct. 1876. Razed 1957 to make way for new section of Rasche Dormitory. Built of brick; cost $18,000. Outside dimensions were 135 x 45 feet. Contained administrative offices (moved from Preston and Olin Building) from 1876-99; mess hall from 1882-91; printing plant from 1923-53; and various other departments from time to time. Was of brick construction, two stories plus basement.
FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-Formerly known as Meat Processing Laboratory. First phase completed 1952 (cost $311,911; 13,272 sq. ft.). Second phase, 1965 (cost $129,530; 7,392 sq.ft.). Third phase, 1968 (cost $784,323; 25,014 sq. ft.). Completion of third phase, 1970 (cost $341,757).
GYMNASIUM-(See Athletic Facilities, Memorial Gymnasium, above).
HENDERSON-Infirmary; original section, built in 1876, used as home for presidents until converted, along with a 1902 addition, into an infirmary. Original section cost $4,202; 1902 addition cost $8,298;1929 addition cost $25,000; 1951 addition cost $425,936. Total floor area, 37,403 sq. ft. Named for Dr. William F. Henderson, college physician, 1890-1935.
HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING-Erected 1916 as Blacksburg High School. Purchased by the university as part of three building package totaling $310,000 at auction in 1965. Used as an architecture laboratory-studio.
HILLCREST-Residence hall; first residence built specifically to house women and accommodated 108 students. Occupied fall 1940 and promptly named "Skirt Barn" by male students. Closed 1970 and converted for use as a male athletic dormitory with an addition in 1971; houses 130 scholarship athletes. Original section cost $124,313; 29,313 sq. ft. Addition cost $667,065; 18,355 sq. ft.
HOLDEN-Academics; completed March 1940. Cost $157,239; 50,807 sq. ft. Named for Roy J. Holden, head of geology department, 1905-45.
HOME MANAGEMENT HOUSE-Completed 1914. Cost $11,418; extensively renovated in 1959 at cost of $7,162; 4,125 sq. ft.
HORTICULTURAL HALL-Built in 1888-89 for Agricultural Experiment Station. Torn down January 1936 to make way for Burruss Hall. Occupied by Experiment Station, 1890-1907; known as Horticultural Hall, 1907-1914; occupied by Agricultural Extension Division, 1914-24; used by academic departments, 1924-33; used by women students for various purposes 1933-35. Was located on site slightly southwest of present Burruss Hall.
HUTCHESON-Academics and agricultural administration; completed February 1940. Cost $206,000; 39,280 sq. ft. Originally known as New Agricultural Hall. Named for T.B. Hutcheson '06, professor of agronomy and dean of agriculture, and John R. Hutcheson '07, director of agricultural extension and ninth president. Dedicated July 31, 1957.
JOHNSON-Residence hall; completed December 1965; first occupied winter 1966; dedicated May 16, 1966. Cost $544,603; 35,960 sq. ft. Housed 185 men, 1966-spring 1970; converted to house 184 women in fall 1970. Named for J.S.A. Johnson '98, faculty member 1900-31, sometime commandant of cadets and Engineering Experiment Station director.
JOHNSTON (Ambler)-Residence hall; construction started 1967. Partly occupied fall 1968; remainder 1969; dedicated Oct. 17, 1969. Cost $4,853,966; 272,019 sq. ft. Houses 1,306. Named for J. Ambler Johnston '04, lifetime supporter of the university, former president of the Alumni Association, and a founder of Carneal and Johnston, architectural-engineering firm that designed many campus buildings.
LANE-Formerly known as Barracks No. 1. Completed October 1888. Cost $20,000; 33,049 sq. ft. Used to house 130 students until converted to academic office use in January 1967. Named for James H. Lane, first commandant of cadets (professor of military tactics) 1872-81.
LANE STADIUM-(See Athletic Facilities, above).
LIBRARY (Carol M. Newman)-Opened Sept. 17, 1955; dedicated May 1956. Cost $1,770,761 ($1 million of which was from Old Dominion Founation); 111,585 sq. ft. Named for Carol M. Newman, professor and head of English department, 1903-41.
LIBRARY (Old)-Also known as Auditorium and Chapel. Completed May 1905. Burned down after being vacated August 1953. Used as both chapel and auditorium, 1905-09; used as auditorium, dance hall, and gymnasium, 1909-14; used as library beginning in 1915. Nicknamed "Dutch Barn" 1904-14. First intercollegiate basketball game was played there Jan. 22, 1909. Was located on site of present Carol M. Newman Library.
LEE-Residence hall; construction started 1965; completed fall 1966; dedicated May 30, 1968. Cost included in $4,500,000 bond issue for Lee, O'Shaughnessy, and Johnson; 159,278 sq. ft.; houses 845. Named for Claudius Lee '96, electrical engineering faculty member, 1896-1946, and the person who named The Bugle in a contest when he was a student. Died 1962.
MAJOR WILLIAMS-Residence hall; composed of three sections built at different times: Barracks No. 5, Barracks No. 6, and a newer section joining Nos. 5 and 6. Section once known as Barracks No. 5 was built in 1904; cost $18,000. Barracks No. 6 section built in 1927; cost $106,267. No. 5 and No. 6 were remodeled in 1957-58 at cost of $226,191. New section joining No. 5 and No. 6 was built in 1957; cost $130,639. Entire building houses 352; contains 64,673 sq. ft. Named for Marine Maj. Lloyd W. Williams '07, alumnus hero of World War I, to which has been attributed one of the more famous statements of that war: "Retreat? Hell, no!"
McBRYDE (New)-Construction begun 1970; major work completed December 1971 (except auditorium). Cost $2,714,514; 123,000 sq. ft. (approx.). Dedicated Apr. 28, 1972. Named for John McBryde, fifth president, 1891- 1907.
McBRYDE (Old)-First phase dedicated June 1914; building completed August 1917. Cost $127,596; 58,776 sq. ft.; was first campus building built of native stone in the neo-Gothic style; torn down in 1966; was located on site of new McBryde Hall. Named for John M. McBryde, fifth president, 1891-1907.
MEDIA SERVICES -Erected 1934 as Blacksburg Elementary School. Purchased by the university as part of three building package totaling $310,000 at auction in 1965. Used by student organizations 1966-69 while Squires was closed.
MEMORIAL CHAPEL-Construction started spring 1951; completed and dedicated May 29, 1960. Cost: $477,335; 6,234 sq. ft. Upper level contains Memorial Court with eight sculptured Indiana limestone pylons representing, from left to right: Brotherhood, Honor, Leadership, Sacrifice, Service, Loyalty, Duty, and "Ut Prosim" (the university's motto: "That I May Serve"). Members of alumni who have died while in military service are carved on the pylons. Four left pylons were designed by Henry Kries; right pylons designed by Charles Rudy. Lower level contains 350-seat chapel. Chancel sculpture symbolizes man's relationship to his creator with central group implying that something greater than man himself is responsible for his presence on Earth; left figure represents this relationship in daily life; right figure suggests man in communion with his creator. Chancel sculpture designed by Donald DeLue. A 772-pipe, $17,600 pipe organ installed in chapel in August 1962; pipes, made in Holland, range from a few inches to 16 ft.
MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM-(See Athletic Facilities, above).
MILES-Residence hall; completed May 1964; dedicated May 16, 1966. Cost: $657,375; 41,450 sq.ft.; houses 216. Named for C.P. "Sally" Miles '01, former director of athletics, graduate athletic manager, professor, and dean; faculty member 1903-56; died 1966.
MILES STADIUM-(See Athletic Facilities, above).
MILITARY BUILDING-(See YMCA Building).
MONTEITH-Residence hall; occupied fall 1949. Cost $405,530; 35,860 sq.ft.; houses 228 men. Closed for renovation 1969-70. Reopened fall 1970. Named for 1st Lt. James W. Monteith '41, one of three World War II alumni recipients of Congressional Medal of Honor (posthumus).
NEWMAN-Residence hall; completed May 1964; dedicated May 16, 1966. Cost $872,472; 55,017 sq.ft. Housed 292 men, 1964-Spring 1970; converted to house 284 women in fall 1970. Named for Walter Stephenson Newman, tenth president, 1947-62.
NEWMAN LIBRARY-(See Library, Carol M. Newman.)
NORRIS-Academics and engineering administration. Formerly called Engineering Building. Southwest wing completed spring 1960; cost $377,983; north wing, joining Holden Hall, completed (summer 1962; cost $529,100. Total building contains 72,375 sq.ft. Named for Earle B. Norris, dean of engineering 1928-52; director of Engineering Experiment Station 1932-52.
O'SHAUGHNESSY-Residence hall; construction started 1965; completed fall 1966; dedicated May 30, 1968. Cost included in $4,500,000 bond issue for Lee, O'Shaughnessy, and Johnson; 69,211 sq.ft.; houses 355. Named for Louis O'Shaughnessy, faculty member for 36 years (1918-54), professor of applied mathematics, head of civil engineering, director of graduate studies.
OWENS-Dining hall; first used September 1939. Cost $358,212; 97,688 sq.ft.; renovated extensively in 1959; addition on side 1970. Named for J.J. (Pop) Owens, mess steward 1917-40.
PAMPLIN-Academics and College of Business administration. Known as Commerce Hall 1957-69; renamed Pamplin Hall in May 1969 in honor of Robert B. Pamplin '33, president and board chairman of Georgia-Pacific Corp. and university benefactor. Building completed fall 1957; cost $734,645; 49,060 sq. ft.
PATTON-Academics and miscellaneous use; first story completed 1926. Floors two to four completed 1929. Cost $208,275; 45,710 sq. ft. Named for William M. Patton, dean of engineering, 1895-1905.
PAVILION, The-Completed summer 1879; torn down March 1940; was located near present junction of Main Street and northeast corner of the Mall. Was of wooden construction, 60 x 90 feet. Used as drill hall and commencement hall, 1879-94; mess hall, 1893-94; commencement hall and gymnasium, 1895; gymnasium, 1894-1914; auditorium-dance hall, 1915-23; gymnasium, 1923-26; auditorium-dance hall, 1926-40.
PERFORMING ARTS BUILDING-(See YMCA).
POWER HOUSE- Built in phases: 1928 section cost $167,000; 1949 section cost $459,710; 1955 section cost $60,000; 1960 section cost $600,162; 1971 boiler plant cost $300,790.
PRESTON AND OLIN BUILDING-Built 1860; burned down June 1913 at loss of $75,000. Was only major building on campus until 1876 when First Academic Building was occupied. Original building was three stories; converted into two-story shop building in 1889. A tower and front porch were also added. Building was of brick construction, 100 x 40 feet. Was located on a hill to northeast of present Henderson where dual portion of Main Street meets College Avenue.
PRICE-Academics and laboratories; completed January 1907. Cost $20,948; 46,661 sq. ft. Once known as Agricultural Hall. Named for Harvey L. Price, dean of agriculture,1908-45.
PRINTING-Once known as Mechanical Engineering Laboratory. Completed January 1931. Cost $47,639; 21,641 sq. ft. Used for mechanical engineering until printing moved there from First Academic Building in June 1953. Part of building is an old power plant; building still houses some power plant equipment.
PRITCHARD-Residence hall; construction started 1965; portion of dormitory opened in winter 1967; building completed by fall 1967; dedicated May 13, 1968. Cost $3,262,240; 201,161 sq. ft.; houses 1,048. Named for Samuel R. Pritchard, faculty member 1893-35; head of physics and electrical engineering and dean of engineering.
RANDOLPH-Academics and laboratories; west section completed 1952; dedicated Oct. 24, 1953. Cost $884,070. East section completed fall 1959; cost $889,944. Building contains 165,918 sq. ft. Attached to the building is a six-foot stability wind tunnel acquired from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1958 and made a part of the building in 1959. Valued at $1 million at the time, the tunnel was acquired for about $1,700 as surplus equipment. Named for Lingan S. Randolph, professor of mechanical engineering, 1893-1918, and dean of engineering, 1912-18; died 1922.
RASCHE-Residence hall; composed of an old section (Barracks No. 2) and a newer section built on the site of the First Academic Building. Barracks No. 2 section completed October 1894; cost $13,467; remodeled 1957-58 at cost of $148,291. New section completed summer 1957 at cost of $552,973. Building contains 62,491 sq. ft.; houses 314. Named for William H. (Bosco) Rasche, professor of mechanism and descriptive geometry, 1895-1951.
ROBESON-Academics and laboratories; completed 1960. Known as Physics Building until 1968 when renamed Robeson Hall in honor of Frank L. Robeson, head of physics department, 1923-54. Dedicated June 7, 1969. Building cost $992,385; 66,138 sq. ft. Original UTR-1O Argonaut-type reactor was dedicated Jan. 6, 1960; approval to raise power to 100,000 watts given in 1966.
"ROCK HOUSE"-Also known as Administration Building and Alwood House. Originally built as a residence for Prof. J.A. Norton, it was later occupied by Prof. William B. Alwood. Most of the building was destroyed by fire in 1900. It was rebuilt to house administrative offices; occupied April 1904. It was vacated by the administrative offices July 1936 on the completion of Burruss Hall. Was of native stone construction and was located at northeast corner of present Drillfield.
SANDY-Academics and miscellaneous use; originally known as Extension Building. Completed May 1924. Cost $ 50,602; 12,343 sq.ft. Named for Thomas O. Sandy, Virginia's first agricultural Extension agent.
SAUNDERS- Academics; once known as Dairy Husbandry Building. Completed July 1931. Cost $150,000; 31,043 sq. ft. Named for William D. Saunders, one-time director of Agricultural Experiment Station and dairy husbandryman, 1890-1940.
SCIENCE HALL (Barracks No. 7)-First occupied September 1901. Burned down February 1905 at loss of $125,000. Rebuilt and occupied October 1905. Remodeled into Barracks No. 7 in 1927. Torn down to make room for new section of Shanks Dormitory in 1957. Was large brick building, three stories plus basement and attic. When known as Science Hall, it was occupied by departments of general chemistry, geology, mineralogy, physics, and biology.
SECOND ACADEMIC BUILDING-Cornerstone laid Aug. 12, 1875. Occupied May 1877. Torn down in 1957 to make way for new section of Brodie Dormitory. Built of brick; cost $18,000. Outside dimensions were 135 x 45 feet. Contained library from 1877-1914 and various other departments from time to time. Was two stories plus basement.
SEITZ-Academics; construction begun 1937; completed 1940. Cost $172,000; 51,000 sq. ft. Once known as Agricultural Engineering Building. Named for Charles E. Seitz, professor and head of agricultural engineering, 1914-54.
SHANKS-Residence hall; composed of an old section (Barracks No. 4) and a newer section. Old section completed November 1902; cost approximately $18,000; remodeled 1957-58 at a cost of $142,567. Newer section completed fall 1958 at cost of $556,386 on site of Science Hall (Barracks No. 7). Contains 55,413 sq. ft.; housed 320 men until converted to house 302 women in the fall of 1970. Named for D.C. Shanks, commandant of cadets, 1895-98.
SHULTZ-Dining hall; first used September 1962. Cost $1,069,925; 55,390 sq. ft. Can feed more than 2,000 students at a single meal. Decorative aluminum seals on front of building were crafted by Armento Architectural Arts, Buffalo, N. Y. Named for John Henry Shultz, mess steward, 1898-1912 and 1915-17.
SLUSHER-Residence hall; construction begun fall 1971. Cost $3,545,144; 125,168 sq. ft.; houses 622 students. Named for Clarice Slusher (Pritchard), registrar, 1937-63.
SMYTH-Academics; once known as Natural Science Building. First section completed 1939; cost $127,650; second section completed fall 1950; cost $485,300. Building contains 65,430 sq. ft. Named for Ellison Adger Smyth Jr., professor of biology, 1891-1925.
"SOLITUDE"- Oldest structure still standing on campus. Frame house built in 1859 by Col. Robert Preston, who inherited estate from his father, Virginia Governor James P. Preston. Forty acres, the house, and several farm buildings on the estate were purchased by the board of vistors in October 1872 for $21,250. Was used as a veteran's club following World War II and later as a clubhouse for "Hokie Club" activities.
SQUIRES STUDENT CENTER -Formerly known as Student Activities Building and Squires Hall. Consists of an inner core (the original Squires Hall) and a surrounding building added later.The original Squires Hall was completed in May 1937 at a cost of $224,750 and contained 54,366 sq. ft. It was named in 1949 for John H. Squires '05, who had donated $10,000 toward the structure. Civilian students had their dining hall in the building from September 1937 to September 1939. The original building was closed in 1966 for the surrounding addition and renovation. Construction began in 1967. The new building reopened in 1969 but was not completed until winter 1970; it was renamed Squires Student Center and dedicated May 12, 1970. The present building contains 162,848 sq. ft. and cost approximately $3,500,000. Among the present facilities are two ballrooms, a 512-seat theater, cafeteria, snack bar, an 8-lane bowling alley, a 24-table billiard room, a table tennis room, 30 meeting-conference rooms, a music practice room, an art gallery, arts and crafts rooms, lounges, and offices.
STUDENT PERSONNEL BUILDING-(See YMCA).
THOMAS-Residence hall; first occupied fall 1949. Cost $427,185; 37,775 sq. ft.; houses 244. Closed for renovation after fall 1969; reopened fall 1970. Named for Sgt. Herbert J. Thomas '41, one of three World War II alumni recipients of Congressional Medal of Honor (posthumous).
UNIVERSITY CLUB-A faculty group organzied the University Club in 1925. Club house built on land leased from the university. Completed 1930. Cost $38,000; 8,763 sq. ft. Once contained dining room that ceased operations in September 1935 when old Faculty Center dining room opened.
VAWTER-Residence hall; first occupied fall 1962; dedicated May 16, 1966. Cost $1,000,872; 58,852 sq.ft.; houses 325. Named for Charles Erastus Vawter, member of the board of visitors (1886-1900) and rector of the board (1891-1900).
WALLACE-Academics, laboratories, home economics administration. Construction begun 1966; basement and first two stories occupied January 1969; building will accommodate two additional stories; dedicated Oct. 24, 1968. Cost $1,250,00; 49,256 sq. ft. Named for Maude E. Wallace, state home demonstration agent 1929-38; assistant director of Extension 1938-59.
WAR MEMORIAL CHAPEL-(See Memorial Chapel).
WAR MEMORIAL GYMNASIUM-(See Athletic Facilities, Memorial Gymnasium).
WHITTEMORE-Academics and laboratories; first three floors completed summer 1971; will accommodate three additional stories. Cost $1,923,800; 72,381 sq. ft. Named for John W. Whitemore, faculty member 1928-63; dean of engineering 1952-63; died 1963.
WILLIAMS-Academics and arts and sciences administration; completed July 1953; dedicated Oct. 24, 1953. Cost $611,514; 46,848 sq. ft. Named for John E. Williams, professor of mathematics, 1903-43; dean of the college, 1924-43; died 1943.
YMCA BUILDING-Known as Military Building 1937-66; Student Personnel Building 1966-72; Performing Arts Building 1972-present. Built for YMCA use in 1899 through alumni subscriptions; cornerstone laid June 20, 1899. Cost $20,729; 13,005 sq. ft. YMCA offices moved to Squires Hall in 1937.
VT History | Digital Library and Archives | Special Collections | University Archives
Send questions or comments to:
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
P.O. Box 90001
Blacksburg, VA, 24062-9001
updated March 3, 2002 (GMc)