University Libraries Logo University Archives of Virginia Tech

College of Human Resources and Education Historic Dates

Timeline 1921-1982

1921
Women students admitted; resident instruction in Home Economics approved

1924
Home Economics Department established; Miss Martha Dinwiddie, head

1925
Home Economics Research by Dr. Ellen Reynolds begins at Agriculture Experiment Station

1925
Four-year curriculum offered; graduate work established.

1929
June, first Bachelor of Science degrees awarded to Josephine Fultz from Rockbridge, Sarah Thomas from Fredericksburg, Sarah Elizabeth Thomas from Madison, and Frances Vivan Vernon from Montgomery.

1930
First master's degrees awarded to Lottye Phillips Bryant from Montgomery, Va.

1933
Department suspended

1937
Department reinstated as a department in School of Agriculture with Miss Maude E. Wallace, acting head

1939
Dr. Mildred Tate named Department Head

1944
Act of General Assembly designates Radford College as "The Woman's Division" of Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Women students majoring in Home Economics also required to register at Radford for their first two years.

1949
Dr. Laura Jane Harper named professor of Nutrition and Foods.

1951
Restriction on Home Economics enrollment at VPI removed.

1958
May, Board of Visitors authorizes establishment of School of Home Economics, combining the programs of VPI and Radford College. Dr. Mildred Tate resigns. Dr. Laura Jane Harper appointed acting head.

1960
September 1, the two-campus school is activated with four departments: Clothing, Textiles, and Related Art; Human Nutrition and Foods; and Management, Housing, and Family Development at VPI. A fourth department, Home Economics Education, is at Radford. The graduate program in Home Economics Education continues at VPI.

1964
June 30, dissolution of the 20-year merger with Radford Home Economics program.

1964
July, school designated as one of Virginia Tech's six colleges.

1966
July, construction begins on the new home economics building,Wallace Hall.

1968
January 2, Wallace Hall is occupied by the College of Home Economics.

1971
A doctoral program in Human Nutrition and Foods is established.

1975
A doctoral program in Management, Housing, and Family Development is established.

1979
Department of Clothing, Textiles, and Related Art accepts first doctoral students.

1979-80
College enrollment tops 1,000: including 215 graduate students (83 are doctoral students).

1980
Sanford J. Ritchey becomes Dean of the College of Home Economics at the beginning of the fall term.

1982
The College of Home Economics is renamed the College of Human Resources. Its four departments reorganize into: the Department of Clothing and Textiles; the Department of Family and Child Development; the Department of Housing, Interior Design, and Resource Management; and the Department of Human Nutrition and Foods.


Back Home Next