Record Group 14 - College of Architecture & Urban Studies
Courses in architecture were listed in the college catalog as early as 1873-74. From 1928-47, courses were offered in the Architectural Engineering Department. In 1947, the name became simply the Architecture Department and then in 1955, the School of
Engineering and Architecture was established. In 1964, it became the College of
Architecture. Urban Studies was added to the title in 1976.
Courses in Building Construction were first offered as an option in 1947 in the
Architecture Department. The first Bachelor Degree in Building Construction was
offered a year later in 1948.
4.0 cu. ft.
These records are the files of William Lewis Favrao, head of the program from its inception until his death in 1977. The collection includes: questionnaires sent to members of the Advisory Board of Building Construction and Architects (1957-58); correspondence (1965-77); student rosters (1966-72); material dealing with a Women in Construction Census of 1967, including letters to companies and their replies; items on the restoration and preservation of Smithfield Plantation (1974-75) including correspondence, expenses, and negatives and contact prints of work on Miller's House. Also contained in this collection are materials of organizations of which Favrao was a member: American Institute of Contractors, Associated Schools of Construction, National Association of Home Builders, Home Builders Association of Virginia, Home Builders Association of Suburban Virginia, and Sigma Lambda Chi. An inventory to this collection is available.