Tech University Archive
of the Papers of John McLaren McBryde, Fifth President of Virginia Agricultural
and Mechanical College
Box 1 Folder
McBryde, John., President
- a: Letter from McBryde appointing a "Committee
on publication" consisting of 3 faculty members--Campbell, Williams, and Newman.
Due to the lack of enforcement of the by-law requiring that all speeches and
paper prepared by students for public delivery or college publication must be
read and revised by the president.
- b: Copy of R.H. Jenell's college account
ending March 31, 1891. Includes specific fees.
- 2: Untitled
Letter to Mr Brown from Dr. McBryde concerning an architectural argument between
Professors Patton and Randolph about Science Hall, March 4,1905.
Resolution that a salary of $1,000 be assigned to the office of Commandant of
Cadets in recognition of the major duties of the position.
- c: Letter to Dr.
Barringer regarding his request to McBryde and concerning Mr Jarnagin and his
position at V.P.I. July 2, 1907.
- d: Letter to Dr. Barringer concerning the
payment of the Adams Fund and McBryde's request for executive council meeting
immediately, July 31, 1907.
- 3: Christian Case 1905
Photocopies of the original documents in the file. The documents originally kept
with the McBryde files have been removed and made into a separate inventory,
labeled "The Christian Case."
- 4: Correspondence (to McBryde)
- a: Letter referring to the establishment of Pittsburgh Club of
V.P.I. from W.B. Moffett class of 1901.
- b: Negotiation of the Hampton
Hodge Property, 1902.
- c: Correspondence between Dr. True and Dr.
McBryde concerning unexplained expenditures of the Agriculture Experiment
- d: Letters of recommendation from Dr. J.B. Alwood, W.M. Scottand
Meade Ferguson, for Dr. Ferguson as director of the Experiment Station.
Negotiations of the Camper Property.
- f: Correspondence on the Coulter Affair,
trouble with the Junior class, December 1904-January 1905.
Letters from Dr. Henderson concerning the Typhoid epidemic, 1903.
Correspondence concerning the dismissal of Dr. Eley by McBryde.
Originals from 4, Correspondence (to McBryde) 1902-1907
- 6: Correspondence
- a: History of financial improvement of V.P.I..
Letters concerning the selection of Professor A.M. Soule as head of the
- c: Statements in regard to Mr. C. Binau's proposal
to make uniforms for V.P.I., includes costs and numbers of uniforms.
- d: Letter concerning the past financial history of V.P.I. from 1891.
- e: Letters from Dr. Robert C. Price regarding his resignation.
Deed of lease and conditions for extension of the lease of V.P.I. on
- g: January 14, 1905 letter containing statements dealing
with the investigation of the dining hall and heating of the barracks.
Letters from McBryde's brother, Bob.
- i: Brief financial statement for
garden department June 22, 1906 by H.F. Price.
- j: Notable letterhead
form the University of State of Florida, including a picture of the Department
- k: Report of the operations of Department of Mechanical
Engineering, with recommendations for further development of Mechanical
Engineering department submitted by Dr. Randolph.
- l: 3 Awarded
diplomas of a Gold medal at the James Town Exhibition for "Method
and Illustrations of Instruction in Dairying and Economic Entomology,"
"Equipment and Instruction in Technical Education," and "Method of
Producing, Transporting and Distributing Pure Milk."
- m: Newspaper
article, "Metallurgy as a Study and as a Profession," Times Dispatch,
Richmond Virginia, Sunday paper, September 9, 1906.
- n: Two
Publications by the Virginia Experiment Station, "Soil Inoculation with
Artificial Cultures," by Meade Furgeson, and "The Inoculation and
Cultivation of Alfalfa," by Andrew m. Soule and Meade Furgeson.
Quick list of recommendations in the President's report.
- 7: Junior
Class Resignation Dec. 1904- Jan. 1905
- a: Copy of the actual
petition signed by the Junior class resigning from the school.
Testimony regarding the speech Mr. Tinsley, president of the Junior class,
made before the day they resigned from the school..
Petition of the Senior class to uphold the Junior class decision to resign.
- 8: Faculty-Student Matters
- a: Resolution and report re:
the Brooke investigation.
- b: Typhoid epidemic, reports and questions.
- c: Notable letterhead from Camp Manufacturing Company 1904.
Letter from headquarters of the Corps of Cadets June 1, 1900, concerning the
disorder in the dormitories.
- e: Gary Case.
- f: Petition for
extended Christmas break.
- 9: Shops Dept. Records 1904-1907 (1909).
- 10: Alwood, William 1901-1904.
- a: Correspondence between J.M.
Alwood and Dr. McBryde concerning the Directors changes.
- b: Letter to McBryde concerning the department of Entomology and Mycology from Alwood May 1902.
- c: Submitted statement concerning
the finances of the Department of Horticulture, Entomology and
Mycology, September 24, 1902.
- 11: Reports on School- Addressed to
- a: Report on the Book Department, December 2, 1902.
- b: Report on the "Book and Uniforms Department," June 12, 1902.
- c: Annual report of the Department mathematics and Physics by C.E. Vawter,
- d: "Report of the work of the colleges of
Agriculture for 1904-05 with recommendations."
Report of the work and expenditures of the experiment station for 1904-05
with proposed budget and recommendations 1905-06.
- f: Report
of the work and expenditures of the college farm for 1904-1905 with
proposed budget for 1905-06.
- g: Statistical forms for the Department
of the Interior, Bureau of Education for the school year of
- 12: Reports on School-Addressed to BOV 1902-1908
- a: Financial statement of V.P.I. college account.
- b: Statements
of financial transactions of V.P.I. from June 10, 1899- June 10,
- c: Statements of financial transactions of V.P.I. from Jun
- d: List of Faculty and Officers for 1903-04 with salaries listed.
- e: Financial transactions June 1901-1902..
- f: Year end reports
written by the department heads 1906.
- 13: Reports
Case of J.L. Nester March 20, 1907, statements of punishment.
Request for a Faculty Executive Committee, and Semester general report on
- c: Proposal for organization of the
Agricultural Experiment Station, Alwood.
- d: Professors reports on the
Academic year of 1902-1903.
- e: Letter of recommendation of Dr. Harris
Hancock for President of UVa.
- f: Holdaway's resignation letter from
the Dairy Division.
- g: Semester report 1904 from McBryde to the Board of
- h: Rebuttal and explanations to Dr. Trues criticisms of
financial transactions from Dr. McBryde.
- i: Monthly
reports by Mary Lacy librarian from November 1905- June 1906.
- j: Annual
Report, Handwritten 1902-1903.
- 14: Annual Reports
Inspection report from Hartford steam boiler.
- b: Annual report for
- c: Annual report for 1904-1905.
- d: Annual report
- 15: Fire Losses/ Barringer Letter 1905-1909
- 16: Boiler- 1905-06- Ag Hall (plans for)
- a: Floor plans and
a sketch of Ag Building at University of Illinois and University of Ohio.
- b: Booklet of layout and description (with pictures) of Townshend Hall Ohio
State University 1896.
- c: Sketched Plans for Ag.
Hall, Soil Physics lab.
- 17: Chimney Co. 1905-06 Ag. Hall
- a: Specifications for a chimney for V.P.I. September 12, 1906.
- b: Letter referring to an attorney for V.P.I. had been called upon due to
problems that had arisen about the construction of the chimney.
- c: Card for Weber-Steel Concrete Chimney Co. Chicago.
Letter addressed to Weber-Steel Concrete Chimney Co. from the Engineer in
charge of the project, R. Allan, in reference to the problems with the
construction of the chimney.
- 18: Originals from 4:
Chimney Co. 1905-06 Ag. Hall
- 19: Furniture, Heating, Gas-Ag Hall
- a: Plans and Specifications for fermentation cellars.
Request for 2000 worth of furniture for Agriculture Hall from the Dean and
Director of the Department of Agriculture A. Soule, January 1,
- 20: Plumbing Specs. Ag. Hall
- a: Letter with suggestion
to change in specifications of Agriculture Hall made by A.M.
Soule to professor Randolph.
- b: Pamphlet on ice machine supplies
and pumps: Ice Machine Co. New York.
- c: Specifications for
refrigeration and Ice making plant proposed for V.P.I. by the
Carbondale Machine Company September 20, 1906.
- d: Proposal for 10
ton refrigerating plant Ice Machine Supply Co.
- e: Copy of 3
advertisement pamphlets: 1: Carey Machinery and Supply Company,
Power Transmission Machinery, 2: Bookcases from g/w Libraries and 3:
Portland Sectional Conduit, H.W. Johns-Manville Co.
- f: Pamphlet
advertising the Heim Auto Cordless Steam Dampener.
- g: Pamphlet
advertising the Martin Anti-Friction Rocking Grates.
- h: Pamphlet
advertising the Heim Machine Co., Heim automatic fold collar
- i: Refrigerating Machine plans and 20 ton ice plant
- j: Information questionnaire for the Triumph Ice Machine Co.
- k: Tables containing the Statistics for the years 1905-1906 from
Alabama to Wyoming, collected by National Association of State
Universities: Table no. 1: Students, Institutional Valuation,
Max Salaries, Houses in Addition to salary, Teaching Force.
Table no. 2: Valuation, Support, Buildings and Income.
- l: Advertisement for reliance, safety water columns, The Reliance Gauge
- m: Card with diagram on The Squires Steam
Trap by Carey Machinery and Supply Co.
Originals from 20: Plumbing Specs- Ag. Hall.
- 22: Govt Correspondence
- a: Approved Act, March 3, 1898 fro enforced rules and regulations
about the sale of intoxicating liquors to minors or certain students.
- b: Summary of Alwood's accomplishments as director of Virginia Experiment
Station, Names of publications and bulletins.
- c: Senate Bill
no. 308. to amend and re-enact the act to create and maintain a state
board of crop and pest commissioners and to define its duties and powers,
approved March 5, 1900.
- d: Certificate from Governor
Montague stating that Dr. McBryde appointed delegate to the
State Good Roads Convention held in Richmond the 20-21 of March,
- e: A request for Dr. McBryde to attend Jefferson Memorial and
Interstate Good Roads Convention in Charlottesville April 1902.
- f: Report from Mr. Scott, from the Committee on Mines and Mining,
submitted the following "Endowment, Etc., of certain schools for
benefit of Agriculture and Mechanic arts, Etc."
House of Representatives report #604, "Bill to apply a portion of proceeds of
sale of public lands to the endowment of schools or departments of
mining and metallurgy and so forth"
- h: Letter from
Martin Dodge, Director of the United States Department of
Agriculture Office of Public Road Inquiries, March 3, 1902.
- i: Circular
from the United States Department of Agriculture Bureau of Chemistry,
"A plan for cooperating in the study of available plant food."
- j: Correspondence from Norfolk and Western Railway, October 1902 regarding
the Experiment station.
- k: Sketch of proposed sewer
line October 29, 1902.
- l: Petition protesting the inclusion of
Fluvanna Co. in the quarantine district from Splenetic Fever,
signed by stock owners, cattle dealers and citizens of Fluvanna
- m: Letter concerning corps trip to the South Carolina,
Inter-State and West Indian Exposition in Charleston.
- 23: Miscellaneous -McBryde's interests
- a: Letter to Amy
Murray from Dr. W.H. Drummond supporting her work.
Advertisements for Miss Amy Murray (Scottish Song and Story.)
Letter to Dr. McBryde from Amy Murray.
- d: Report from McBryde as
Chair of executive committee about his work at Sweet Briar.
- 24: Agricultural Related 1895-1906 Brochures, Office Equipment.
- a: Catalogues and Advertisements from the following companies:
- Gunn Sectional Book Cases
- Globe-Wernicke Co.
Cabinet Supplies, Jan. 1907.
- Southern Stamp and Stationary Co. April
- The Optics of the Field Glass, Bausch and Lomb Optical
Co., May 15, 1907.
- 1904-1905 Everette
Waddey Co. Stationary and Office Appliances.
- Moore's loose
leaf record books and cabinets, 1905.
- J.M. Hanson's Newspaper
and Magazine Agency 1907-08.
- J.M.Hanson's Newspaper and Magazine Agency 1906-07.
devices- Aids for the systematic manager, J.P. Bell Company.
- Tatum loose leaf books, J.P. Bell Company
- Mittag and
Volger Manufacturer of ribbons and carbon papers.
Typewriter paper, The Columbia Typewriter Mfg. Co.
- b: Smith's
enameled steel signals and alphabets, Charles C. Smith Manufacturers.
- c: Defiance Company advertisements sent to McBryde:
- Pocket Poker Chips.
- Draft and Check Protector, new
steel matrix model.
- Payroll Machine.
- Dividend check writer.
- Initial press
- d: 1903, J.P. Bell Co. Automatic numbering
machine, writing fluid, and ink stand.
- 25: Misc. Correspondence
- a: Entomological News, March 1903. Includes plate of Butterfly,
By Ellison Smyth Jr.
- b: "A Chance to Advance
Southern Technical Training, January 23, 1903.
- c: Letter from New
Hampshire college of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts concerning
the Government money and experiment stations.
- d: Check from the
Bank of Blacksburg.
- e: Qualifications for degrees for Electrical
Engineering, General Engineering, Agriculture and Mechanical
- f: Statistics of Attendance, November 12, 1903.
- g: Department of Agriculture and Immigration literature defining the
powers and duties of the board of Agriculture.
Comparison of cost of buildings erected in 1900 by contract and in 1904 by the
- i: Schedule of final examinations for
the 1903-1904 session.
- j: Telegram from Norfolk and Western
- k: Regulations drawn up by Board of Visitors for
- l: Article in Encyclopedia Americana about
V.P.I., history and statistics etc... May 11, 1904.
- m: Letter concerning the amendment to the mining bill H.R. 8868 as proposed
by the National Association of State Mining Schools and
Invitation to their convention of Association of American
Agricultural colleges and Experimental Stations.
- n: Notable letterhead from the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission with
a pamphlet of editorials from newspapers on the undertaking of a
Virginia building at St. Louis.
- 26: Misc.
- a: Letter to Virginia State Board of Crop and
Pest Commissioners regarding experimental work and funding,
written by J.L. Phillips, State Entomologist.
Letter to Dr. Campbell from William Thorton Office of the dean on how
the University of Virginia deals with delinquent students.
Notable letterhead from Pillsbury-Washburn Flour Mills Company Ltd.
- d: Document calculating out deficits of the school.
- e: Letter
to Vawter from the Board of Visitors in response to his resignation.
- f: "Memorandum of working agreement between the State Board of Control of
Virginia and the Bureau of Animal Industry for the Control of
Southern Cattle and the eradication of Ticks which transmit
Southern Cattle Fever."
- g: Article titled " Farmers Arrange for
Institute." discussion of the program for the Ninth annual
- h: Comparison of Cost of Work provided for in
Bill reorganizing the Department of Agriculture, when work is
done be the Department of Agriculture and when it is done by the
Agricultural Experiment Station.
- i: " An agreement between the
State board of Agriculture and the board of control of the
Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station and the Southern Produce
Co., Representing the Truckers of Virginia, for the establishment and
management of a station in the trucking section."
- j: letter
from McBryde, reasons for asking for increase of 10,000 dollars in annual
- k: Review of the history and standing of
the V.P.I. Veterinary department.
- l: In depth notes on a visit to
V.P.I. including corps, barns and buildings, unknown author.
- m: Direct appropriation since 1891, Exclusive of 60,000 last granted.
- n: A bill to apply a portion of proceeds of sale of the public lands
to the endowment support and maintenance of schools or
departments of mining and metallurgy in the several states and
territories in connection with the colleges for the benefit of
Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts established in accordance with
the provisions of an act of congress approved July 2, 1862.
- 27: Abbot-Allen 1900-1904
- a: General correspondence
from parents and relatives asking for information.
- b: Notable
letterhead from the State Board of Agriculture.
- c: Notable
letterhead from David M. Lea and Co.
- 28: Ambrose-N.W. Ayer and Son
- a: Notable letterhead from Anderson &
- b: Notable letterhead from Central Mfg. Co. 1904.
- c: Flyer for a book for students of the Drill Regulations of Infantry
Drill including interpretations of the drill by Lieut. John T.
French, Army & Navy Journal.
- d: Notable letterhead of Aspinwall
Manufacturing Co. Potato Machinery.
- e: Notable letterhead for the
Iowa Homestead, a western farm journal.
- f: Announcement of
participation in inter-state travel for Cornell Universities
Sports teams, 1901.
- g: Manual of the rules of guidance for students
- h: Notable letterhead for Wingo, Ellett & Crump
- 29: Baach-Beinkampen 1900-1904
Notable letterhead from Baldwin's Deteribes, 1902.
- b: Pamphlet and
price list advertising the Klip Binder by the H.H. Ballard Co.
Notable letterhead Barnes-Crosby Co.
- d: Notable letterhead from
James S. Barron and Company.
- 30: Beinkampen-Blount 1900-1904
a: Notable letterhead from Quinn-Marshall Co.
Advertisement for Photo-negative album and everyday file.
Advertisement for fine toilet papers with price list for J.P. Bell Co. 1901.
- d: Notable letterhead from The Bain Peanut Co. 1901.
Correspondence from Norfolk and Western Railway Co. from a potential
student, Frank Bell.
- f: Notable letter from Confederate soldier,
H.R. Berkeley, wanting to send his boy to V.P.I. for electrical
- 31: Blackford-Bormay 1901-1904
Notable letterhead from J.C. Blair Co. 1902.
- b: Notable letter and
letterhead from the manager for Frieda Siemens a well renowned
German Pianist, 1903.
- c: Pamphlet advertisement of Uncle Sam's
- d: Notable letterhead from Baugh and Sons
- 32: Boss-Brooks 1901-1904
- a: Notable
letterhead from Royalton Woolen Co., 1903.
- b: Letter from the
Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, requesting the University
to see if there were any summer positions for open for work
during the summer, mainly in Mattress making and mattress repairing,
- c: Notable letterhead from Norfolk and Western Railway Co.,
- d: Notable letterhead from Braddock and Co. on the back of the
letterhead is the explanation of the Braddock System and how it
works. " The best, safest, least expensive and most accurate
system for conducting a Credit or Company Store Business."
- 33: Broaddings-Byers 1901-1904
- a: Notable letterhead from
Blue Ridge Springs Va.
- b: Notable letterhead from J. Thompson Brown
- c: Notable letterhead from Maryland Trust Co., 1902.
- d: Notable letterhead from Buena Vista Plaster and Mining Co. 1901.
- e: Notable letterhead from J. Bumgardner Distilling Co. 1902.
- f: Notable letterhead from The Orton 1901.
- 34: Untitled
folder- -Contains Miscellaneous Correspondence.
- a: Notable
letterhead for the Orange Judd Co., 1904.
- b: Letter from A.S.
Capehart, 1901 regarding sending a copy of the Paris Exposition
of 1900 to V.P.I. (Explains what the exhibition was and the what
the report includes.)
- c: Letter in Spanish from El Presidente de
la Audencia de la Habana, Fardieras, 1900.
Series of 28 letters in Spanish to McBryde and Tagliafero from Buenos Aires,
Castro family. Additional letters in English from Peter Castro to his brother,
sent from V.P.I. and from Julio de Cardenas to McBryde.
- a: Notable letterhead from Riter-Conley
Manufacturing Co., 1902.
- b: Notable letterheads from Central
Manufacturing Co., 1902 and 1901.
- c: Notable letterhead from A.J.
- d: Notable letterhead from Chicago House Wrecking
- e: Notable letterhead from Thomas L. Cleaton, 1904.
- f: Notable letterhead for Columbia Typewriter Manufacturing Co.
- g: Agreement to furnish coal to V.P.I. Institution from July 1903-July
1904, Contract made in writing between Plunket and V.P.I. July
- h: Notable letterhead for Pocahontas Coke and Coal Co.
- 36: Coken-Courtuery 1901-1904 Miscellaneous Correspondence
- a: Notable J.H. Collinson XC'LENT, Baltimore Oysters, 1902.
- b: Notable letterhead from Columbia Shade Cloth Co.,1904.
Notable letterhead from Corbin Cabinet Lock Co., 1902.
Cortwright Metal Roofing Co. order form, 1900.
Return to University Archive home
Return to Special Collections home page.
Send questions or comments to Tamara Kennelly:
Last updated on July 18, 1997