Virginia Tech University Archive
of the Papers of John McLaren McBryde, Fifth President of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical
- 97: Withrow-Wyson
- a: Notable letterhead from Pan-American Exposition 1901, Buffalo N.Y. U.S.A.
- b: Notable letterhead from the State of Georgia Senate Chamber 1904, from W.A.
Warsham, concerning a position in Chemistry.
- c: Notable letterhead from Eskew, Smith & Cannon Manufacturing Confectioners, 1904.
- d: Notable letterhead from E.A. Wright 1903.
- 99: Yager-Zallikoffer
- a: Notable letterhead from Corinth Lumber Company, 1901.
- b: Notable letterhead from Mount Airy Furniture Company, 1903.
- 100: Applications for employment by students 1900-1901
- a: Series of Formal applications for employment from the students, 1901.
- 101: Problems, Adair-Kent 1902-03
- a: Testimonies on the Childrey & Matthews Case, with recommendations for
- b: Notable letterhead from N.R. Bowman and Company, leaf tobacco, 1902.
- c: Notable letterhead from Common Council City of Lynchburg, 1903.
- d: Letter in regard to the handling of hazing at V.P.I. from a Rector of St.
Stephens Church, Randolph Royall Clairborne.
- e: Pamphlet from University of Wisconsin, " A Circular of Information relating to the Short Course in Agriculture at the University of Wisconsin 1902-1903."
- f: Report form the Presidents office concerning three cadets for : "Seriously and
Disrespectfully interfering with the Officer of the Day in the discharge of his
duty on the Night of April 28th."
- g: Report of the students work for term ending January 3, 1903 with a letter from the parents.
- h: Notable letterhead from Wm. N. Grubb Insurance, 1903.
- i: Committee report from the committee appointed by the class of 1904 concerning the Brandenburg Case.
- j: Notable letterhead from the "Oakly" Nelson County Virginia, Buffalo Station
- k: Notable letterhead from U.S. Navy Yard Norfolk, VA 1903.
- l: Notable letterhead from Cranes Nest Coal & Coke Co., 1902.
- 102: Ligon-Wade McBryde Problems 1902-1903
- a: Letter from a father to the school concerning problems with his son and a
- b: Review in the Bristol Cavalier February 14, 1903 of V.P.I. band.
- c: Notable letterhead from John E.Rose & Co. 1903.
- d: Statement signed by committee from class, 1904.
- e: Evaluation of Mess Hall food, 1904.
- 103: Addison-Amey, 1905, McBryde
- a: Letters regarding problems with an auditor refusing payment of accounts made against Crop Pest Commission Funds.
- 104: Bason-Butt 1905, McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from American Trust & Savings Bank.
- b: Letter from an ex-student who was just named as County Health Officer of
- c: Notable letterhead from J.P. Bell Company, 1905.
- d: One of the letters referred to in the book titled The First One Hundred
Years, McBryde's chapter in the Quotes at the end of the chapter. The quote
concerning sending a worm to be identified, 1905.
- e: Notable letterhead from Bishop Furniture Co. 1905. Concerning the recent fire at Science Hall.
- f: Notable letterhead from Virginia Bridge & Iron Co., 1905.
- g: Letter accompanied by a newspaper article titled "Crush Rowdyism Say
- h: Notable letterhead from the Teacher's Co-Operative Association, 1905.
- i: Report of vacancy form from the Teacher's Co-Operative Association.
- 105: Calvert-Cunningham 1905 McBryde
- a: Various letters of interest concerning an opening position in the Department of Chemistry at Virginia Tech.
- b: Notable letterhead from the Bugle, V.P.I., 1906.
- c: A request for more information regarding V.P.I. from the Chicago
Tribune, 1905, due to more requests for information to the newspaper.
- d: Notable letterhead from Commercial Envelope and Box Company, 1905.
- e: Notable letterhead from W. S. Copeland of the Times Dispatch regarding a student's record, Richmond Virginia, 1905.
- f: Telegram from the Western Union Telegraph Company Inc., 1905 with
conditions and company terms on the back of the telegram.
- 106: Darnall-Finch 1905 (Includes Fire)
- a: Notable letterhead from Mutual Benefit Life Insurance CO., 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from Eugene Deitzgen Co., 1905.
- c: Cover letter for job as Assistant Professor in Chemistry for 1906, from Mr.
Oskar Eikstein, 1905.
- d: Letter concerning the Southern Educational Conference April 26-28, Letter
from J. Wm. Flinn, South Carolina College.
- e: Blank advertising contract for Official Southern States School Guide, 1905,
Forman Co., Publishers.
- f: Various letters concerning the fire at Science Hall.
- 107: Grandy-Guigon 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter from A.B. Guigon Attorney at Law, 1905 concerning the junior class incident, the Tinsley case.
- b: Enclosed correspondence between Col. Johnson and A.B. Guigon in reference to Guigon's sons record, 1905.
- 108: Hall-Huffard 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from J. Bumgardner Distilling Company, 1905.
- b: Inquiry of the opening position in the Department of Chemistry.
- c: Brochure for a building, sent to V.P.I. after the destruction of Science Hall.
Advertisement reads "College, Sanitarium, Asylum or School Property for
sale or lease"
- d: Letter from the General Assembly of Georgia concerning two questions
regarding expenditures and present values, 1905.
- e: Schedule of lectures, Etc, 1905-1906, formal document.
- 109: Isaac-Luke 1905
- a: Notable letterhead from Lane Brothers Company Contractors, with map on the back, 1905.
- 110: Mabee-Murrill 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from Designers Engravers Printers Consolidated, 1905
- b: Notable letterhead from The N.E. Spessard Co., general department store,
- c: Letter from a detective agency with regard to fires with newspaper articles,
business card and references.
- d: Letter from The School and College Bureau, Chicago, 1905. Claiming to have
a select list of members, requesting that V.P.I. send their list of openings to them for
- e: Letter from a parent including actual cut out sections of the Course Catalogue.
- f: Notable letterhead from The University College of Medicine, 1905.
- g: A series of letters from W.G. Melvin, concerning the Junior class incident and the actions taken against the boys.
- h: Notable letterhead from the American Saving Stamp Co.,1905.
- i: Advertisement for the Northern Neck News, Warsaw, Virginia, the newspaper
for Richmond, Lancaster, Westmoreland and Northcumberland counties, 1905.
- j: Notable letterhead from The United States Envelope Company, 1905.
- k: Letter from W.A. Murrill concerning a lecture he is giving at Tech titled "Cuba
and Cuban farming," 1905.
- 111: Nightingale-Powell 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from The Parker Pen Company.
- b: Letter noting problems with the shop report and budget.
- c: Letter form Virginia Anthracite Coal and Railway Co. concerning the problems with their service to V.P.I. and the winter weather, 1905.
- 112: Ramey-Russell 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from Hackney Wagon Company Manufacturers, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Republican Publishing Company, 1905.
- c: Notable letterhead from Buena Vista Plaster and Mining Company, 1905.
- d: Letter from Robertson & Wingfield Attourneys at Law concerning an incident
taking place two years prior to the letter and requesting information relating to the case, 1905.
- e: Notable letterhead from H.W. Rountree & Brother Trunk and Bag Co, 1905.
- 113: Saul-Sycle 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter including article from the newspaper on an examination for Civil Engineers
- b: Notable letterhead from Public Ledger with map on the back, 1905.
- c: Notable letterhead from The Smith Premier Typewriter Co., 1905.
- d: Notable letterhead from Ohio State University 1905, wanted a complete set of
financial reports of the Land-Grant colleges, established under the act of
July 2nd 1862.
- 114: Talcott-Villafranca 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter from T.M.R. Talcott to president McBryde in reference to the article in
the Times-Dispatch which discusses the terms under which the Junior class
students will be reinstated. An argument over the punishment, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from Taylor Bros., 1905.
- c: Letter from R.H. Tebbs in reference to the insubordination of the Junior class
"The Coulter Affair."
- d: Letter from the Southern Intelligence Office, 1905 Containing a cut out
advertisement for V.P.I.
- e: Notable letterhead from Underwood & Underwood stereoscopic photographs,
1905 concerning summer employment of 1500 students.
- 115: Winston-Zimmerman 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter from S.P. Withers in regard to the Junior class trouble, 1905.
- 116: Adamson-Audel 1905 McBryde
- a: Outgoing letter to A.L. Adamson in regard to his son 1904.
- b: Outgoing letter to J.A. Albert concerning some incident of a student leaving
campus and being charged with outrageous conduct. Student supported by
- c: Notable letterhead from The Charlotte Trouser Co. 1905.
- d: Letter to McBryde from Mrs S.H. Anderson about her son's dissatisfaction with
V.P.I. accompanied by a sympathetic response form McBryde, 1904.
- 117: Baker-Burroughs 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter of apology from a student member of the Junior class for his behavior in
the Coulter Affair and asking to be reinstated.
- b: Miscellaneous correspondence from the Dean of Faculty. Many letters referring
to the disciplinary action taken by the faculty in the Coulter Affair.
- 118: Caldwell-Cunningham 1905 McBryde
- a: Miscellaneous correspondence regarding the reinstatement of various students
from the Junior class that resigned.
- 119: Dalton-Dyer 1905 McBryde
- a: Miscellaneous correspondence from parents with replies from the Dean of
Faculty, referring to: Catalogue requests, Coulter Affair and reinstatement,
student records and possible employment.
- 120: Eastman-Frost 1905 McBryde
- a: Miscellaneous correspondence about: Financial difficulties, reinstatement of
students involved in the Coulter Affair, Catalogue requests, A boy
McBryde is to look after during his fathers absence on the U.S.S. Buffalo.
- b: Letter from Flournoy, Sparklin Architechs regarding the recent fire and the
need for a new building. Includes a drawn picture of a dormitory building
at Washington and Lee University that was an example of their buildings.
- c: A picture in The Baltimore News, 1905 of the plans for The Marlborough
- 121: Garborg-Guigon 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from The Combination Rubbery Mfg. Co., 1904.
- b: Miscellaneous correspondence referring to: The reinstatement of members of
the Junior class, Requests for information referring to V.P.I., and student
- 122: Hall-Hope 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter referring to the requirements for entrance into the freshman class, 1905.
- b: Various correspondence referring to the reinstatement of students from the
- c: Letter from the University of Arkansas requesting a copy of the rules and
regulations at V.P.I. for reference as they revise their set of rules and
regulations and wish to compare them.
- d: Letter from the Commercial Association, renewing their invitation to attend the
"Good Road" Meeting 1905.
- e: Advertisement for certificates, includes sample certificates with conditions and
important changes of rates, rules and regulations on the back, 1904.
- f: Notable letterhead from Tennessee Furniture and Supply Company, 1904.
- 123: Hughes-Lunsford 1905 McBryde
- a: Various letters referring to the reinstatement of students of the Junior class,
- b: Letter to the manager of the Virginia-Tennessee Telephone Company, Pulaski,
complaining of the unsatisfactory phone service and the problems Tech is
having with their service, 1905.
- c: Notable letterhead from G.W. Litz Stock Company, 1905.
- 124: McAdams-Mosher 1905 McBryde
- a: Notable letterhead from The Citizens Bank, 1905.
- b: General Correspondence.
- c: Letters regarding the reinstatement of members of the Junior class, 1905.
- 125: Noland-Osterlch 1905 McBryde
- a: General Correspondence
- b: Letters concerning the reinstatement of members of the Junior class.
- 126: Palmer-Russell 1905 McBryde
- a: Letter that references when the name of the college was changed from the
Virginia Agricultural & Mechanical College to Virginia Polytechnic
- b: Letters in reference to the reinstatement of members the Junior class, 1905.
- c: Letter referring to the stance on Prohibition that the County holds with the
exception of Radford.
- d: Notable letterhead from the Hackney Wagon Company, 1905.
- 127: Sanborn-Simmons 1905 McBryde
- a: Correspondence regarding the resignation of the Junior class and the
reinstatement of the students. Including a letter that quotes the letter sent
by the faculty stating what they expected to be addressed in the letter and
what the real problem with this act of insubordination was.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Hotel Imperial, 1905.
- 128: Somers-Vandegrift 1905 McBryde
- a: Letters in reference to the reinstatement of members of the Junior class, 1905.
- b: Letter from the East Orange Gazzette, 1905 requesting information about
Luther D. Martin and his association with V.P.I., includes a newspaper
photograph of Luther Martin.
- c: Letter from a student at Emory and Henry College requesting information about
Graduate classes at V.P.I., 1905.
- 129: Wade-Yeaton 1905 McBryde
- a: Letters in reference to the reinstatement of members of the Junior class, 1905.
- b: Letter from McBryde explaining the conditions and guidelines the letter for
reinstatement must follow, 1905.
- 130: Abbitt-Cutshaw 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Notable letterhead from the Hotel Rennert, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from the Southern Tobacconist and Modern Farmer, 1905.
- c: Three letters from Atlantic and Birmingham Construction Co. 1906 asking for
character references for students that applied for various jobs.
- d: Notable letterhead from Brown & Bailey Co., 1906.
- e: Letter from a parent concerned with the associations of his son and a concern of
another student carrying a gun to school.
- f: Letter from the Board of Trustees of the University of Chicago announcing the
death of President William Rainey Harper, 1906.
- g: Notable letterhead from The Cox Hat Company, 1906.
- 131: Dammann-Funsten 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Notable letterhead from A.B. Dick Company, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from Eimer & Amend, 1906.
- c: Letter asking for reinstatement of a student that was previously expelled.
- d: Letter from secretary of the Chamber of Commerce of Newport News in
reference to supporting a bill.
- 132: Gallalee-Jones 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Letter from Mr. Geckler, from affiliated schools, Georgia School of
Technology, including a questionnaire regarding V.P.I.'s dealings with
affiliated schools, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from Stephen Putney Shoe Company, 1905.
- c: Notable letterhead from Straton & Bragg Company, 1905.
- d: Letter from the University of Georgia asking for information on The Men's
Christian Association Building and the University relations with the
- e: Letter from Mr. Horsley in regards to the Christian Case.
- f: Notable letterhead from M.H. Jennings & Son, 1905.
- 133: Landis-Noland 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Letter from N.T. LaBaume A&I Agent for Norfolk and Western Railway on
behalf of the president of N&W Railway, commending Blacksburg for its
work and discussing the plans of the president visiting the school, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from James River Cement Works, 1905.
- c: Letter from the United States Senate in reference to a bill introduced to the
House of Representatives by Mr. Hull providing that certain colleges be
placed on the list as depositories for government publications.
- d: Invitation from the Trustees and the Faculty of the Maryland Agricultural
College for the Semi-Centennial Celebration, March 6, 1906 in College
- e: Notable letterhead from the president's office at Clemson College, 1905
concerning some bills pending before the General Assembly of South
- f: Invitation from Mercer University for the installment of Charles Lee Smith Phd
as the president of the University in Macon Georgia, November 24, 1905.
- g: Announcement of the Inauguration of Dr. Charles Lee Smith as the president of
Mercer University in Macon Georgia, November 24, 1905, includes the
program of events.
- 134: Palmer-Tuok 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Two letters in Spanish from Francisco Planas, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Welch Lumber Company, 1905.
- c: Notable letterhead from The Park Hotel, 1905.
- d: Notable letterhead from The Charleston Hotel Co., 1906.
- e: Notable letterhead from Shenandoah County Building and Loan Association,
- f: Notable letterhead from Straus Gunst & Co., 1906.
- 135: Dee-Zepp 1905-1906 Campbell
- a: Notable letterhead from the Underwood Typewriter Co.
- 136: Albarez-Keeler 1906 Campbell incoming-outgoing
- a: Letter from the War Department Office of the Chief Engineers about adding
V.P.I. on a list in order to follow the regulations in promoting former
students to Junior Engineers, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from the Bugle 1906.
- c: Notable letterhead from The Caxton Co., 1906.
- d: Letter to Mr. Dobbins giving permission to have a stand on campus during
Commencement, and the conditions under which this was to be permitted.
- e: Letter concerning sending an Education Commission to China, 1906.
- f: Letter to John Goode discussing McBryde's illness and the proceedings at
- g: Letter from the Beta Theta Pi's looking for information of an old brother of the
- h: Memorandum concerning the sending of An Educational Commission to China,
Edmund J.James, President of the University of Illinois.
- 137: Larsen-Wood 1906 Campbell Incoming-Outgoing
- a: Letter from the Methodist concerning the V.P.I. advertisement, includes the
actual newspaper cutout of the advertisement published, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from Decatur Chamber of Commerce, with various pictures
of Illinois on the back of the letterhead, 1906.
- c: Notable letterhead form Southwest Virginia Enterprise 1906.
- 138: Requisition Orders Jan-June 1905
- a: Requisition orders of the Field Experiments, 1904.
- b: Request for Bath tub and Hand Basin for Prof. Vorter's house, 1904.
- c: Requisition orders of the Department of Uniforms, 1904.
- d: Requisition orders of the Department of Virginia Crop Pest Commission, 1904.
- e: Requisition orders of the Department of Equipment, 1904.
- f: Requisition orders of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1904.
- g: Requisition orders of the Department of Farm Supplies, 1905.
- h: Requisition orders of the Department of Garden and Factory, 1905.
- i: Requisition orders of the Department of Books, 1905.
- j: Requisition orders of the Department of Military, 1905.
- k: Requisition orders of the Department of Agriculture, 1905.
- l: Requisition orders of the Department of Laundry, 1905.
- m: Requisition orders of the Department of College, 1905.
- n: Requisition orders of the Department of General Chemistry, 1905.
- o: Requisition orders of the Department of English, 1905.
- p: Requisition orders of the Department of Shops, 1905.
- 139: Requisition orders 1907-1908
- a: Requisition order of the Department of Rhetoric, 1907.
- b: Requisition orders of the Department of Repairs, 1907.
- c: Requisition order of the Department of Farms, 1907.
- d: Requisition orders of the Department of Shops, 1908.
- e: Requisition orders of the Department of Mess, 1907.
- f: Requisition orders of the Department of Garden & Factory, 1908.
- g: Requisition orders of the Department of Military, 1908.
- h: Requisition orders of the Department of Uniforms, 1908.
- i: Requisition orders of the Department of Physics, 1907.
- j: Requisition orders of the Department of Office Supplies, 1907.
- k: Requisition orders of the Department of Graphics, 1907.
- l: Requisition orders of the Department of Postage and Stationery, 1907.
- m: Requisition orders of the Department of the infirmary, 1907.
- 140: 1907-1908 Reports on Delinquent or Unsatisfactory Students
- 141: Original Documents from folder 140: 1907-1908 Reports on Delinquent or
- 142: Cahill-Clevinger 1906-1907
- a: Letter referring to the bad condition of the diploma the student received.
- b: Various correspondence with Dr McBryde concerning information about V.P.I.
- c: Letter from the War Department. Office of the Chief of Engineers
acknowledging V.P.I. being added to the approved list of technical schools.
- d: Letterhead from the Jamestown Exposition requesting a preliminary sketch of
the V.P.I. exhibit.
- e: Letters form the acting president, 1907.
- f: Letter discussing the dairy exhibit proposed to the Jamestown Exhibition, 1907.
- g: Letters from the State Board of Agriculture and Immigration concerning the
plan of re-organization, 1907.
- 143: Original Documents From Folder 142: Cahill-Clevinger 1906-1907
- 144: Clothier-Cuthorell 1906-1907
- a: University Record February 1907 "Agriculture" Published quarterly by the
University of the State of Florida, 1907.
- b: Notable letterhead from the University of the State of Florida with a
photograph of the Department of Agriculture and Horticulture, 1907.
- c: Business card for Geo. A. Cole, Professor of Agriculture at the University of
Arkansas, 1907, Cole was applying for a position teaching Agronomy at
- d: Notable letterhead from Commercial Printing Company Incorporated, 1907.
- e: Notable letterhead from The Lutheran Orphan Home of the United Synod of
the South , 1906.
- f: Notable letterhead from Credential Employment Corporation, 1907.
- g: Advertisements with photographs of miss Nellie Amber Crossen, entertainer,
reader, lecturer in lecture-recitals, popular entertainments and fictional
readings. Includes press evaluations and personal endorsements.
- 145: Original Documents from 144: Clothier-Cuthorell 1906-1907
- 146: Dabney-Dwight 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Notable letterhead from Jamestown Exposition includes resolution from the
- b: Letters form the House of Representatives about H.R.. 24757 and Association
of Colleges and Preparatory Schools of Virginia, Including the Constitution
and By-Laws, 1908.
- c: Letter to Mr. J.J. Davis, appointing him instructor in the Department of Modern Languages, 1906.
- d: Notable letterhead from Appomattox Trust Company, 1907.
- e: Notable letterhead from the Dickey Drug Company, 1907.
- f: Casino Technical Night School, blue print of tally of students including, number of students attending, Nov. 1, 1906, 2, Comparative table of enrollment
and 3, percentage data table, includes also a letter from the president, C.R.
Dooley, explaining the statistics and their significance.
- g: Letter referring to the arrangements of Hilcrest, 1907.
- h: Letter referring to the newly proposed rule of making four years the required
commitment to the military work in the institution, 1907.
- 147: Earhart-Everett Waddy Co. 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Letter to J.D. Eggleston about the duties of the president, 1907.
- b: Letter from the State Superintendent Public Instruction, 1907, requesting
information of the rules and regulations governing the board at V.P.I.
- c: Notable letterhead from Ford's Hotel, 1907.
Return to University Archive home page.
Return to Special Collections home page.
Last updated on July 18, 1997
For questions or comments to Tamara Kennelly: