|Replaced in 1982 by the Victorian Alex Black (Right)|
Hoy Funeral Home was built by Alexander Black in 1898 at a cost of $3,500. This two-story white frame Victorian structure replaced a house built by William Black, which burned the previous year. Blacksburg was named for the Black family.
Located at 204 Main Street this structure has been used as a funeral home for about 35 years. The three generation family business was established by Jno. M. Oakey, grandfather and one of the pioneer funeral directors in Southwest Virginia, and was continued by P.D. Oakey Sr. And P.D. Oakey Jr.
Since 1961 when Mr. And Mrs. William Hoy purchased the business, which is also used as their residence, they have remodeled the house removing partitions and closing in the porch. They have retained the Victorian architectural features. This period contained such distinctive features as stained glass windows, block tin ceilings, solid oak woodwork and paneling.