RALPH MINTHORNE BROWN,
VPI HISTORICAL INDEX,
Water supply. Stand pipe erected, in 1908, to supply town with water from college spring. Board of Visitors granted permission.
Water and sewerage supply system installed, April 1912.
Agreement made, August 18, 1911, between college and town, whereby the town agreed to supply the latter water at a rate of 7[cents], per 1000 gallons.
Rate raised in 1920 to 15 cents per gallon.
Historical Blacksburg. VT23,11.
Blacksburg town water system put in operation on September 1, 1932.
Financed by bond issue.
Extended limits to annex new city addition (to the south). Adds 200 acres and 800 inhabitants town. October, 1934.
Town places street signs (April, 1935).
Blacksburg installs lights on main street (May, 1935).
Town council sells bond issues for improvements (April, 1935)
$100,000 allocated for road (January, 1929) by State highway commission.
$105,000 allocated, by US Bureau of public road (September, 1934) to improve road (re-routing portions of it)..246 miles north of Main Street, Christiansburg to 5.256 miles south of Blacksburg. Completed in 1935.
Hard-surfaced road completed, July, 1933. Old road widened and straightened.
Cornerstone of new high school building laid, June 10, 1916.
Work begun on new high school (September, 1934). Financed by Public Works Administration and town. Completed, August, 1935.
Construction begun (by Bristol firm), August, 1935. Completed, March, 1936.
New water system (owned by town) put into operation, September, 1932.
Return to Other Documents, Old and New
Last updated January 26, 1998