In 1847, Blacksburg's Presbyterian congregation moved out of the meeting house they shared with the Methodists to a new building. This structure is the oldest religious structure standing in the town. It is a small version of the nave-plan Greek Revival-style churches built in many towns in the region, including Christiansburg, Floyd, Salem, and Fincastle. It has been used as a lodge hall and restaurant since 1904 when the congregation built a new church, also in the district, and in its varying uses has been adapted several times. The front now displays an approximation of the original gable and two-bay pilastered facade with paired double doors.



Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next


http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/slides/ss12.htm
¤
Last updated October 24, 1997