The town was relatively unscathed by the Civil War. The growth of the community began in earnest after the region recovered from the economic devastation caused by the war. Blacksburg received a boost in 1872 when it was chosen as the host community for Virginia's agricultural and mechanical college, later known as Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. The new college occupied and enlarged upon the campus of the Olin and Preston Institute on the hill on the northwest outskirts of town. Whereas the town's composition had not responded noticeably to the earlier school, the new, larger-scale institution caused significant changes. Some commercial establishments that had formerly clustered at the intersection of Main and Roanoke Streets jumped outside the original town grid to the streets fronting the campus. A good example is Deyerle's Store, seen here in its present and historic forms. This two-story, gambrel-roofed, frame building, constructed in 1875, has a wide parapet false front with a central gable and ornamental brackets. It incorporates two well-preserved, indented, wood and glass storefronts. The building is Blacksburg's most substantial and best-preserved commercial building from the late nineteenth century.



Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next


http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/slides/ss15.htm
¤
Last updated October 24, 1997