The post-Civil War era saw modest growth of industrial and commercial operations in Blacksburg. Harmon Sifford had established a tanyard at the west corner of Blacksburg in 1809 and by 1871 there were three tanyard sites in and near the town, all of them along the region's plentiful streams. Associated with these foul-smelling tanyards were a number of other small-scale industries. The Conway tanyard at the east corner of town had a weaving shop, saddlemaker's shop and tin shop. Blacksburg was the site of an important regional pottery in the mid- and late nineteenth century. There had been two potteries in the county in 1840, but none were listed by 1850. David Bodell arrived in about 1863 and operated from several sites in the district through the later nineteenth century.



Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next


http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/slides/ss15.htm
¤
Last updated October 24, 1997