At least one of these houses, the brick house at 401 Progress Street (on the bottom), was moved to this area in 1929 from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University campus, where it had been built in the late nineteenth century as part of Faculty Row. Another house at 604 Progress Street, seen on top, is a one-and-one-half-story, center-passage-plan house of modest proportions but with sawn ornament in the gables and on the one-story, side porch. Small, brick flues flank the central passage of the house, which dates from the late nineteenth century.



Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next


http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/slides/ss27.htm
¤
Last updated October 24, 1997