Churches surviving from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in the district include the brick Blacksburg Presbyterian Church of 1904, seen on the bottom. It was influenced by the popular Akron plan for churches which advocated sloping floors, curved seating, and large Sunday school facilities that could be opened into the sanctuary when additional seating was needed. The church has pointed doors and fine stained glass windows with brick label molds. The nearby, brick Blacksburg Methodist Church of about 1910, on the top, has been adapted for use as the congregation's fellowship hall after the construction of a new sanctuary in the 1960s. It is very similar in form to the 1904 Presbyterian church, with its asymmetrical towers, each containing vestibules and flanking a cross-shaped sanctuary.

Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next
Last updated October 24, 1997