By the 1950s an almost solid wall of building fronts on College Avenue faced the campus, many of which survive today. Some institutions built a series of buildings, keeping up with fashion and enlarging their facilities in the process. In 1920 the Bank of Blacksburg constructed a two-story, brick-faced bank and store building on the western corner of Main and Roanoke streets, seen on the bottom. In 1942 the same bank built a stylish, coursed-stone Moderne-style building across the street, shown on the top. It was designed by the Roanoke firm of Smithy and Boynton. Finally, the bank built an International-style brick building on the corner diagonally opposite at the same intersection in the 1960s.

Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next
Last updated December 24, 1997