The second building of the Lyric Theater is one of the most architecturally important buildings in the town today. The building was completed in 1930 to the designs of Roanoke architect Louis Phillipe Smithy. A buff brick Moderne commercial/office block with stone trim screens the auditorium and incorporates a stone-faced entry pavilion with marquee and inset entry. From the parapet over the marquee two concrete theatrical masks originally gazed on the passersby and the window below was filled with masonry tracery. Today much of the classical interior survives and rehabilitation is underway for continuing use as a theater and concert hall.



Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next


http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/slides/ss53.htm
¤
Last updated October 24, 1997