At first the commercial response to the increasing population was to update existing building stock. The remaining empty downtown lots were infilled with buildings like the Bank of Blacksburg Annex, built in about 1950 and seen on the top. The one-story, Modern Barber Shop/Harleys Shoe Repair Building and the adjacent two-story William Price Building, seen on the bottom, are both brick structures with metal casement windows, tile copings on the plain parapets, and inset metal and plate glass storefronts.

Previous Slide Introduction Next Slide

Previous - Introduction - Next
Last updated October 24, 1997