A good example is the Goodrich-Helm-Lancaster House, of which only a photograph survives, a two-story, two-room log dwelling which may have been built before 1830.
Public buildings were few. The town had a meeting house used by the Methodists and the Presbyterians at the corner of Church and Lee Streets by 1819. Lydia Savine ran an early tavern which moved from an unspecified location in town to a house on Main Street in 1808. Dangerfield Dobbyns taught a small schoolhouse on Roanoke Road on the eastern outskirts of the town. It does not appear that any buildings survive from this earliest period of the town's development.
Previous - Introduction - Next
Last updated October 24, 1997