At first the Blacksburg Police Department occupied an office in the Old Town Hall on Jackson Street. Court also was in the Town Hall, and the lock-up was upstairs. In 1944 a lock-up was built above the garage designed to house the town's fire-fighting equipment. In 1958 the officers fixed up the building behind the Old Town Hall to use as their headquarters. This building used to be a garage where the water trucks were parked. The police officers finished off the building themselves, put in windows, and partitioned it. In 1970 the Police Department moved to the new Municipal Building. The Blacksburg Police Department moved to current headquarters on Clay Street in 1982.