University Libraries Logo University Archives of Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech
Governance Minutes Archive

January 12, 1988

                                    MINUTES

                            FACULTY SENATE MEETING

                                12 January 1988

 

                                  CEC Room G

                                   7:30 p.m.

 

 

  Present:  Senators Arnold, Baumgartner, Beyer, Birch, Blieszner, Collins,

            Conn, Cranford, Duke, Eng, Eustis, Geller, Geyer, Goss, Hansen,

            Killough, Ludwig, Morrill, Myers, Nielsen, Novak, Paterson,

            Polan, Salvaggio, Scanlon, Smeal, Snoke, Sullins, Wang, Wokutch

 

            Alternates F. Gwazdauskas for E. T. Kornegay, D. Kingston (Arts &

            Sciences) L. Mitchell (Engineering).

 

  Absent:   Senators Campbell, Dugger, Fine, Grossman, Hicks, Knocke, Kohl,

            Schug.

 

  Guests:   K. DeBord, Extension Faculty Association; D. Barrett, President,

            Extension Faculty Association; Phil Nolan, Student Government As-

            sociation; S. Truelove, Spectrum; R. Heterick, P. Gherman

 

  I.   President Eustis called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

 

      ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

      The revised constitution and bylaws were added to the agenda under new

      business.

 

      President Eustis read a memorandum from Lewis Barnett concerning the

      Senate Resolution congratulating the Men's Cross-Country team for their

      fourth place finish in the National Championships.  He listed several

      student accomplishments which were unrecognized by the Senate.  Presi-

      dent Eustis will respond thanking Dr. Barnett for his concern, will

      point out that such resolutions are at the discretion of Senators, and

      that as a result of this memo perhaps groups or individuals will be

      more frequently considered for commendation.

 

      The Senate Cabinet will meet 22 January 1988 at 3:30 p.m. in the Gen-

      eral Listening room of the Newman Library.

 

      President Eustis made a presentation to the VPI Facilities Board re-

      garding having one of the 6 faculty members on that board being nomi-

      nated by the Senate.  The board was interested and receptive but had

      many questions and conerns.  On the suggestion of Dr. Chuck Taylor who

      Chairs the Board and the concurrence of President Eustis a joint Board-

      Senate Committee will prepare a specific proposal which will be voted

      on at the Board's Spring meeting.  Members of the joint committee are:

      Rita Purdy (Human Resources), Jim Owens (English), Mary Louise Hallauer

      (Music), and Senators Eustis, Killough and Smeal.

 

      Executive Vice President Ridenour was thanked for sharing his plans for

      reorganization with the Senate Officers.  He sought comments and ac-

      cepted commentary before the plans were announced.  President Eustis

      has a copy of the rationale for the reorganization.

 

      David Braine, Athletic Director, will address the Senate at the 9 Feb-

      ruary meeting.  A lunch meeting will be held with Mr. Braine before

      this meeting.  Senators are welcome to this lunch.

 

      The Ad hoc committee on the information systems will report in Febru-

      ary.

 

      A Senate retreat could be held on 29 March if the Senate is interested.

      An adequate number were interested and this meeting will be planned.

      Senate officers met during the month with the SGA leaders, with the In-

      terim Provost and with Interim President Torgersen.

 

      The University's celebration of Black history month begins 10 January

      and continues through 27 February.  The Senate has had a peripheral

      role in planning the program with President Eustis and Senator Arnold

      contributing.  Attendance is encouraged.

 

      An election is needed to choose the Senator to represent the Senate on

      the faculty committee to write the description of the ideal University

      presidential candidate.  The committee on committees chose a slate for

      this election:  Senators Bleiszner, Novak and Polan.

 

      Senator Arnold withdrew the Arts and Science resolution concerning

      greater faculty representation on the presidential search committee

      from the agenda.  She read the letter from Rector White of the Board of

      Visitors to Robert Benoit, President of the Arts and Sciences Faculty

      Association.

 

  II.  The Agenda was adopted with 2 items added under new business.

 

 

       1.  Revised Constitution and Bylaws.

 

 

       2.  Election of Senator to committee to write the description of the

           ideal presidential candidate.

 

  III. The Minutes of the Faculty Senate Meeting of 8 December 1987 were ap-

  proved.

 

      The Minutes of the Faculty Senate Cabinet meeting of 8 December 1987

      were approved.

 

  IV.  Dr. Robert Heterick, Vice President for Information Systems and Mr.

       Paul Gherman, Director of Libraries were introduced.

 

      Dr. Heterick addressed the Senate.  He explained that "information sys-

      tems" consists of University Libraries, The Computer Center, Communi-

      cations Network Services, and Learning Resources Activities.

 

      This century has seen the growth of new technologies (audio, visual,

      computer) which have challenged the dominance of printing as a means of

      communication.  Information systems as now existing at VPI & SU is an

      attempt to recognize and capitalize on the relatively recent

      amalgamation of all communication technologies.

 

      In preparation for the self study the University developed a mission

      and purpose statement with 8 major foci one of which is "that the Uni-

      versity will provide quality telecommunications and information systems

      to support its teaching, research, and extension missions."  The Uni-

      versity has recognized a role for information systems which is signif-

      icant and probably unique.  The number of computers on campus exceeds

      the number of telephones on campus, and the number of televisions ex-

      ceeds the number of computers.

 

      Concerning the Library:

      The Library contains about 1.6m monographs, 1.2m microfilms and about

      1900 serials.  The resource which is significant is increasingly seen

      as being insufficient.  Budget erosion and spasmodic funding have com-

      bined to cause a crisis for the library.  A need to recognize the

      change of dynamics of library costs is needed.  The University has made

      library funding a major focal point in its budget submissions and the

      State Council for Higher Education has made library funding its second

      priority.  There is hope then that immediate problems with the library

 

      may be resolved through the long term problems of sporadic funding are

      not at an end.

 

      Library space continues to be a problem due to the number of volumes

      being added.  There is too much off-site storage at present.  Creative

      solutions are being considered at present and solutions are 1-2 years

      away.  As to the application of complete technologies to the libraries.

      Several projects are being considered.  One is the use CD-ROM discs as

      a means of storing data bases.  Another is to put dissertations on

      disks for storage.  The possibility that journals may be produced in

      electronic format suggest that an infrastructure will be needed to use

      electronic formats.  The library will update its computer system

      shortly.  Several hundred thousand records in the library are not yet

      on VTLS.

 

      The challenges for the next several years are to continue traditional

      formats, build new electronic formats, and to solve funding and space

      problems.  He is relatively optimistic that much progress will be made

      on these fronts in the next four years.

 

      Computing Center:

      Growth has been flat over the last several years and has averaged 1.6%.

      This is appropriate due to decentralization of resources.  Needs now

      are for network infrastructure to support distributed computing.  The

      funding problems for computing are now at departmental levels and the

      funding of the computer center per se will not increase.

 

      Ownership of personal computers will be important for distributing im-

      ages and full-texts from libraries in the future and ownership of per-

      sonal computers continues to be an important issue as Information

      Systems plans for the future.

 

      In networking, an NSF grant of $250,000 has been obtained to begin the

      Virginia Research the Network with the state's 5 major universities.

      VPI & SU is the state location for linkage with the Southeastern Re-

      gional Research Network which accesses NSF NET of 6 government spon-

      sored super computers.  VPI & SU also has access to several networks.

 

      Several shortages in the computer arena are in parallel computing and

      with problems of obselescence and maintenance of digital equipment.

 

      Demands for consulting have increased but perceptions of ability of

      consulting has declined.  With level funding problems will probably

      continue.

 

      On Communications:

      VPI & SU is moving towards being its own telephone company.  This will

      allow cost control and the exploitation of technological opportunities

      available within digital switches and telephones.

 

      Last year a $16m industrial Bond was received.  This will enhance the

      teleport and the closed circuit TV system.  The bond money is being

      used for a digital switch and for a fiber optic TV cable plant.  The TV

      satellite uplink has been updated to C-Band and a KU bond is being in-

      stalled.  By Fall 88, 30-40 channels of Cable TV will be available in

      dormitories.  The same system will be connected to academic buildings.

      The Bond issue should pay itself off in 8 years.

 

      Instructional Technology:

      An arrangement with Ampex Corporation allows upgrade of TV sets by way

      of a matching grant.  Excellent TV equipment now exists in the studio.

 

      Capability for computer aided design and graphics for visuals has been

      improved greatly.

 

 

      Laser disk work is being aided by a $1m grant for extension and in-

      structional development.  The possibility of having laser disk storage

      of slide files is being worked on.

 

      Off campus remote instruction is well advanced in engineering and the

      MBA program is about to go on a similar basis.

 

      About 3 teleconferences per month are being held and this is expected

      to increase.

 

      The Computer Center and CNS will be moved to the Research Park financed

      by another Bond.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Who pays for CD-Rom capability in the library and how will the CD-Rom

      machines be any more reliable than the library copiers?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      Whether the user or department gets a charge for CD-Rom use has not

      been decided but the apparent "free" use of a library sets a precedent.

      The whole questions is being studied.  Machines do break down and books

      will remain convenient for a long time.  Many items will probably be

      purchased in both formats.  In emergencies a CD-Rom can be run on a PC.

      Disaster drills are in place for computer breakdowns and backups are

      available.  There is a move towards site-licensing of data bases.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Are there plans to put a major library building in the queue for capi-

      tal development for new buildings at this stage.

 

      ANSWER:

 

      No.  At this stage the problems will have occurred before a building

      could be available.  Alternate arrangements will be necessary and a

      creative financial strategy will be found to achieve a solution within

      two years and result in a bigger library.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Problems of communication between Faculty and Information systems have

      occurred during the past few years on issues relating to the Library

      and PC labs.  What plans are there to improve communication on planned

      changes?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      No easy solutions are foreseen but I am sensitive to the issues.  About

      1,000 pages of planning documents per year are produced and are circu-

      lated to Deans, etc.  Better ways to identify issues and prevent con-

      troversy are needed.  Much text is on the computer which shows

      Information Systems' positions on many issues but are seldom used.

      Ways to link concerns and issues are needed.

 

      COMMENT:

 

      All the information may be available but many people do not have ways

      to access it.  Many people for instance don't have access to Profs.

 

      ANSWER:

 

      Hard copy on the issues would be overwhelming.  A phone call can get

      the information to users but one needs to know who to call.  Proposals

 

      for different organizational structures might help with the problem but

      will not solve the problem.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      In your report to the Board of Visitors (BOV) you deal with the library

      space problem but not with the materials problem.  Was this raised with

      the BOV?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      It was a report to a committee of the BOV.  In the 10 minutes available

      only high points were mentioned and about 1 minute was devoted to the

      library and the materials issues was probably not mentioned.  I have

      asked for a 2 hour meeting with the BOV for detailed discussion of

      problems and opportunities for information systems.  I may get a half-

      hour in the future to do this.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Did the library ever get a return from VTLS when it was incorporated?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      No.  The arrangement is that the library returns investment to VTIP and

      thence to VPI Educational Foundation.  I believe that this year VTLS

      was profitable for the first time, i.e. it overcame start-up costs.

 

      COMMENT (Gherman):

 

      VTIP has a controlling share in VTLS.  Royalties, though relatively

      small, came to VTIP and VTIP will not profit significantly unless VTLS

      were dissolved and the corporation assets are transferred to VTIP.  The

      library does not benefit directly.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Isn't that arrangement rather determental given the enormous amount of

      library resources which went into developing VTLS?

 

      ANSWER (Gherman):

 

      It was university money which developed the VTLS system.  The royalty

      to VTIP is to pay for the development costs.  Further software has been

      developed since incorporation of VTLS.  A lot of the development was

      done at the Computer Center.  These arrangements predate my arrival on

      campus.

 

      ANSWER:

 

      (Heterick) They predate Paul's and my tenure also and an informed an-

      swer would have to come from someone else.  If the question is "are

      there bruised egos?" the answer is yes, there are more than a few.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Is compressed stacking in the future for the library and will this af-

      fect library access?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      Compact shelving means an electronic system will allow stacks to abut

      and will be controlled by a console so that only one stack was avail-

      able at a time.  One solution to space problems is compact shelving and

      it is being considered for an addition to Newman or into Newman itself.

 

      Low-usage material could be put into such shelving.  An 80-100% im-

      provement in shelf space can be achieved by use of compact shelving.

 

      COMMENT:

 

      That is an example of the type of decision which should be carefully

      checked with the library users.  A purely technical space decision can

      influence how people use a library.

 

      ANSWER:

 

      I'm not convinced that we can continue to acquire volumes without going

      to compact shelving but it will be a fall-back position.  Serendipity

      is important and is possible with electronic methods as it is with ac-

      cess to the stacks.

 

      COMMENT:

 

      The portrayal of the library is a high-tech entity rather than a repos-

      itory of human knowledge is unfortunate and the human component of the

      library needs to be publicized also.

 

      ANSWER:

 

      I tend to take the books for granted and talk up the high-tech dimen-

      sion.

 

      QUESTION:

 

      Many museum-type collections are housed in less than optimal conditions

      from the standpoints of their condition and access to them.  Is there

      anything being done to capitalize on efforts to a museum on campus?

 

      ANSWER:

 

      Artifact collections are not part of my purview.  Insofar that many

      collections are less than available we have considered ways by which

      collections may be photographed and slides stored on laser disks.  Se-

      veral slide collections are being transferred as a start to this sys-

      tem.

 

  V.  Council, Commission and Committee Reports.

 

      UNIVERSITY COUNCIL.  Senator Conn - University Council met 4 January

      1988.  The new films policy was approved.  The policy on sexual

      harassment was approved.  Minutes of EO/AA were added for information.

      Concern expressed by Senate officers on inaction on several items of

      EO/AA business was conveyed to the Council.

 

      COMMISSION ON EXTENSION - Senator Collins - No meeting.  Next meeting

      15 January 1988.

 

      COMMISSION ON FACULTY AFFAIRS - Senator Blieszner - Commission met 18

      December 1987 and discussed amendments to CSA resolution about student

      organizations.  The Commission started a discussion on a faculty ethics

      committee.  A task force will be formed to work on this.  Next meeting:

      29 January 1988.

 

      COMMISSION ON GRADUATE STUDIES - Senator Baumgartner - Commission met

      twice.  Issue of research misbehavior was discussed and it was agreed

      to ask for representation on the task force to be formed by CFA.  A re-

      quest from College of Engineering that the department/division be re-

      corded on diplomas, at least for the College of Engineering.  A

      previously approved resolution was delayed to seek reaction from all

      Deans.

 

      COMMISSION ON RESEARCH - Senator Arnold - Computing sub-committee re-

      ported that 47% of smart dollars were spent as of 11/30/87.  The CPU

      cost structure has been readjusted as of 1 January to encourage differ-

      ent usage patterns and to ensure that funds will last through the year.

 

      Purchasing proceedures will now be more flexible.

 

      The Commission discussed issues of research misconduct.

 

      COMMISSION ON STUDENT AFFAIRS - Senator Morrill - No report.  Next

      meeting 14 January 1988.

 

      COMMISSION ON UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES - Senator Myers - CUS met 17 Decem-

      ber 1987, and 11 January 1988.  The commission recommended that the

      University recind an earlier action preventing students from taking

      courses at another institution while in "medical drop" status.

 

      A report on academic continuance was received and discussed.  The com-

      mission agreed to continue the present schedule into its semester sys-

      tem.  They will discuss the impact of the freshman rule later after

      semester conversion.  They agreed to ask the Financial Aid office to

      verify legitimate situations where a student would be prevented by fi-

      nancial hardships from attending summer school to recover academic el-

      igibility.  A copy of a CUS resolution on Eligibility for Continued

      Enrollment was distributed which would define satisfactory progress to-

      wards a degree.

 

      ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION BOARD - Senator Sullins - The Board met 14 Decem-

      ber 1987.  They reviewed audit reports.  M. Ridenour met with the Board

      and discussed future organization after the dissolution of the board.

      A subcommittee was formed to formulate whether the Board be replaced by

      a Committee, Commission, etc.

 

      BUILDING COMMITTEE - Senator Ludwig - No Meeting.

 

      COMPUTER COMMITTEE - Senator Birch - Committee met 6 January 1988.

      Discussed capacities of mainframe computer types and issues of central-

      ized vs. distributed computing.  Rate ratio charges were set to encour-

      age redistribution of computing work load.

 

      EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION COMMITTEE - Senator Fine - No re-

      port.

 

      LIBRARY COMMITTEE - Senator Duke - The issues of lack of fines on fac-

      ulty for overdue books will be addressed at the next faculty meeting as

      will related issues of security of books loaned to faculty.

 

      PARKING COMMITTEE - Senators Geller and Oliver - The consultants have

      not arrived.  Senate Parking Committee will meet with the Consultants

      when they arrive.

 

      SCHOLARSHIP AND STUDENT AID COMMITTEE - Senator Wang - No report.

 

      SELF-STUDY STEERING COMMITTEE - Senator Novak - All material is at hand

      and all chapters will be at the printers by 29 January 1988.

 

      FACULTY SENATE OF VIRGINIA - Senator Smeal - The Faculty Senate of

      Virginia represents 4-year private and public institutions.  They met 7

      November1987.  They discussed use of adjunct faculty at public insti-

      tutions and a study of adjunct faculty salaries and summer salaries.

      The Faculty Senate of Virginia is seeking membership of the Association

      of Virginia Colleges.  Faculty at Mary Washington College and J.

      Sargent Reynolds Community College now have representation to their

      boards of visitors due in part to action by the Faculty Senate of

      Virginia.  Early retirement issues were discussed.  Next meeting will

      be in April.

      PRESIDENTIAL SEARCH COMMITTEE - Senator Paterson - The Search Committee

      met in Richmond 19 December 1987.  Dr. L. Harris was appointed Execu-

      tive Secretary.  He is not a member of the committee.  Three advisory

      groups were formed to advise on the criteria for selection and evalu-

      ation of candidates.  The faculty group representation will be 1 addi-

      tional senator, 1 faculty member from each college  and the library, an

      additional distinguished professor, and a member from the academy of

      teaching excellence.  Ms. Irvine (student member of the Board of Visi-

      tors) will lead the student group.  The Alumni group will meet at an

      executive committee meeting in January.  An advertisement was approved.

      Several prospectuses of search firms were reviewed and one (Heidrick-

      Struggles) was selected and hired to assist in the search.  The charge

      to the committee will be submitted to the Board of Visitors for ap-

      proval.

 

      PLANNING TASK FORCE - Senator Ludwig - President Torgersen will take

      over Chair of the Committee which met 6 January 1988.

 

      A small subgroup was appointed to develop ideas relevent to a framework

      for coordinated planning.

 

      NATIONAL SPEAKERS FORUM - Senator Paterson - The Speakers Forum Commit-

      tee met 12 November and reduced the list of possible speakers to H.

      Kissinger and Allan Bloom (N. Chicago).  A problem exists in the diffi-

      culty of attracting speakers of such caliber here.

 

 

  VI.  Old Business

 

      Faculty Review Committee Proceedures - Senator Conn - A new draft was

      distributed.  The entire document was approved unanimously.

 

  VII. New Business

 

  1.  SPECIAL ADMISSIONS PROCEDURES - Senator Nielsen - After discussion the

      report and proposed resolutions the committee was charged with making

      revisions based on the comments made.

 

  2.  REVISION OF CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS.

 

      President Eustis gave an overview of the proposed changes.  D. Barret,

      President of the Extension Faculty Association answered questions about

      the extra-collegiate extension faculty and their mission.  Further dis-

      cussion was deferred to the February meeting.

 

      The election of the Senator to represent the Faculty Senate on the com-

      mittee to write the description of the ideal presidential candidate was

      held.  Senator Novak was elected.

 

  VIII.  Meeting adjourned 10:35 p.m.

 

 

  Respectfully submitted,

 

 

  Patrick F. Scanlon,

  Secretary, Faculty Senate.

 

Current Virginia Tech Governance Minutes Archive

Return to Virginia Tech Governance Minutes Archive


VT History | Digital Library and Archives | Special Collections | University Archives


Send questions or comments to:

Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
University Libraries
Virginia Tech
P.O. Box 90001
Blacksburg, VA, 24062-9001

URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/minutes/fsm/1988/January+12++1988.html
Last modified on: Tuesday, 25-Sep-2001 13:57:38 EDT