The Rare Book Collection
The collection consists of approximately 60,000 books including printed editions published before 1700, first printings of literary and historical works, small press publications, signed and limited editions. Special strengths exist in English literature (1880-1940); heraldry; ornithology; culinary history; the history of 18th- and 19th-century technology, the American Civil War, Appalachian history and culture, and the American West.
Unless otherwise noted, all rare books and monographs are listed in the University Libraries' online catalog, Addison.
Recent (March 2007) donation by the Friends of the Montgomery Regional Library:Imperial Courts of France, England, Russia, Prussia, Sardinia, and Austria. Richly illustrated with portraits of imperial sovereigns and their cabinet ministers; with Biographical Sketches, and an introduction by William Cullen Bryant. (Bidwell, W. H., ed. NY: Charles Scribner, 1863)
Collections of Interest
- Sherwood Anderson Collection
- Harold H. Bailey and John Eugene Law Ornithology Collection: Books, Manuscripts, and Specimens
- John H. Barnes Collection of Victorian Juvenile Literature
- Elden E. "Josh" Billings Civil War Collection
- Ann Hertzler Children's Cookbook and Nutrition Literature Archive
- Peacock-Harper Culinary Collection
- History of Food and Drink Collection
- Speculative Fiction
- Col. Harry D. Temple Heraldry Collection
- George R. Wallace Foundation: Bibliography of purchases 1996 to present.
About Rare Books