Welcome to Special Collections
Use of materials in Special Collections is conditional upon the rules below:
- Upon arrival, patrons must register with the Reading Room attendant, signing a form agreeing to abide by the regulations outlined below. The signed form will be kept on file for twelve months.
- Personal belongings, including briefcases and bookbags, are not permitted in the Reading Room. These items may be stored on the shelf next to the front desk. We assume no responsibility for lost or stolen items.
- Materials in Special Collections do not circulate and may not be removed from the Reading Room.
- Because most materials are kept in areas closed to the public, patrons must complete call slips for materials requested. Requests for most items are filled on demand, excluding materials in storage which must be requested through the courier service. We reserve the right to limit the number of materials used at one time.
- The use of pens is not permitted in the reading room. Staff will supply pencils if needed. Materials are not to be marked on, traced on, folded or otherwise altered or defaced. When taking notes, place notecards, tablets, etc. on the table, not on the materials being used. Handle loose sheets or bound pages by their edges; avoid touching the surface as much as possible. Support the spines of rare or fragile books (using foam supports provided by staff). The staff will furnish gloves for handling photographs and other especially vulnerable items.
- Please remember that you are responsible for the materials that you use until their return to the attendant.
- Food, beverages and tobacco of all types are forbidden in the reading room.
- Laptop computers are permitted in the reading room, provided they are removed from their cases and their use does not disturb other patrons. The same restrictions apply to tape recorders. Prior permission must be obtained in order to use cameras, scanners and other image-reproduction devices.
- The reference collections shelved in the reading room are available for patron access. Please do not re-shelve these items after using them.
- When using manuscript collections, remove only one folder at a time from the box, replacing it with an out card, so that the file may be replaced in correct order. Do not rearrange folders or materials within folders. If materials appear to be out of order, please alert a staff member.
- The number of photocopies is limited to 50 per patron per day. We reserve the right to refuse to copy materials which we deem too brittle, fragile or tightly bound for safe copying.
- Manuscript materials used in research are to be cited in any resulting papers or publications. Researchers are urged to become familiar with copyright law as the department assumes no responsibility for copyright infringement. Unless specifically stated, Virginia Tech does not claim ownership of the copyright on any of the materials in Special Collections.
- Upon leaving the Reading Room, please let the attendant know if you will be back soon to reuse the same materials. You will be provided a hold slip to complete. This saves your time as well as ours.
Last modified on: [an error occurred while processing this directive](ZI)