Following changes in the official color of the US Army
Infantry from white to light blue, in October 1902, the Senior cadets of
the six Infantry companies and the Cadet Band at VPI changed the lining
colors of their capes and the background of their officers shoulder
straps to light blue. Seniors of the Artillery Battery continued to have
red trimmings. VPI in block letters and gold branch insignia were worn
on the blue blouses of the Senior cadets.
All cadets wore a dark blue, tightly fitted blouse with a stiff stand-up
collar, its front fasteners concealed by black braid. Cadet
underclassmen wore plain black braid collars. The Cadet Seniors wore US
Army regulation blue caps, but cadet underclassmen wore the
In 1902, the building in the background was remodeled for use as the
infirmary. It had been the residence of the college president, but in
that year the president moved into "The Grove", the newly completed house
located at the lower end of the drill field.
Watercolor by Floyd Richard Vranian.