In September, 1908, Commandant George H. Jamerson replaced the shoulder
strap rank insignia with
chevrons to designate all cadet ranks.
White felt chevrons on the sleeves of a blue blouse were designated for
all cadet commissioned officers and cadet noncommissioned grades. Grades
above the rank of corporal wore chevrons on upper sleeves with the points
upward and touching the shoulder seam. Cadet corporals wore chevrons
pointed up on the lower sleeves, between the elbow and the cuff. Seniors
wore dark blue trousers; red trousers stripes had disappeared.
The Chapel and Auditorium Building is seen in the background. In 1914 it
became the Library. The building was destroyed by fire in August 1953.
Watercolor by Floyd Richard Vranian