In 1910 the uniform for full dress formations consisted
shakos and white crossed belts worn over
coatees. The commissioned officer wore a single white belt over his
right shoulder and a red sash around his waist. The enlisted grades wore
a convex brass breast plate on his front where two white belts crossed.
The black felt shako is a West Point pattern with a gold-plated VPI coat
of arms in a wreath, topped by VPI. The shako is topped with black
feathered plumes for commissioned officers, and with black pompons for
the enlisted grades.
The shako was added in 1910 but the gray coatee was brought back in
the fall of 1909 for the dress uniform.
Chevrons made of gold bullion lace on black denoted rank on the
coatee sleeves. Stripes of 1/8-inch wide gold lace worn at a 45-degree
angle (from the front lower end of the sleeve at the front crease, upward
to the back crease, passing between the top two sleeve buttons) denoted
each full academic year completed at VPI.
The building in the background is "The Grove". Constructed in 1902 as
the home of the university president, it continues in that capacity
Watercolor by Floyd Richard Vranian.