- African-American Enrollment at Virginia Tech,
- A table of enrollments of African-American students from 1976 to
1996. From 1979, also shows the freshmen enrollment for each year.
- Non-white Population of Blacksburg and
Surrounding Area, 1970
- A table of population figures for Blackburg and the surrounding
areas. The census data is from 1970, but contains figures for certain
other time periods as well. Compiled by a professor at Virginia Tech.
- Black Members of the Board of Visitors at
- VPI Signs Gaines
- Jerry Gaines becomes the first Negro athlete to sign an athletic
grant at Virginia Tech, Virginian Pilot, May 27, 1967.
- Human Relations Council Discusses Current Issues
by Bob Greenawait
- A faculty student discussion on domestic issues such as racism and
civil rights.The Virginia Tech May 8, 1968
- SAC asks Hahn to remove Flag; but will not censor
- The Student Activities Committee voted to recommend to president
Hahn that he remove the confederate battle flag from the Coliseum and, at
the same time refused to censor the VPI Regimental Band from playing
'Dixie'. The Virginia Tech March 5, 1969
- Tech through the Eyes of a Black
- Experiences of a black student on a predominately white campus.The
Virginia Tech May 28, 1969
- Blacks at Virginia Tech--Proportioning the
Ranks, by Tony Atwater
- Tech's black community responds to the university's efforts to
recruit minorities, Virginia Tech Magazine, vol. 1, no. 2
(December 1978/January 1979): 3-5.
- Colleges Get Three Years to Integrate: U.S.
Approval Reported on Virginia's Proposal, by Charles Hite
- Roanoke Times and World News, January 20, 1983.
- Aggressive Recruitment of Blacks Necessary,
Lavery Tells NAACP, by Bill Duncan
- Collegiate Times, April 15, 1983.
- Enrollment of Blacks Improving: Goals in Doubt
at Tech, Radford,
- Roanoke Times and World News, June 2, 1983.
- Tech Exceeds Desegregation Goals, by Liz
- Virginia Tech Spectrum, October 25, 1984.
- Tech Minority Campus Ministry Awards
- Outstanding students and community leaders honored in the second
annual Ethnic Minority Campus Ministry Program, Roanoke Times and
World News, May 18, 1985.
- Tech Low in Minorities, by David Barker
- Montgomery News Messenger, November 17, 1987.
- School Officials Try to Explain Why Few Negros
- Collegiate Times, December 1, 1987
- Tech Uses Affirmative Action to Attract Black
Students: Officials, However, Say Programs Ineffective in Struggle to
Ethnically Balance University, by Lauree Stroud
- Black Enrollment, second of three articles, Collegiate
Times, December 4, 1987.
- Minority Voice: Tech Blacks Discus Opinions on
University Ethnic Climate, by Lauree Stroud
- Black Enrollment, third of three articles,Collegiate Times,
December 11, 1987.
- Teens Get Early Look at College, by Glenda M.
- High school freshman get a taste of college life, Roanoke Times
and World News, July 14, 1988.
- NAACP Holds Anti-Apartheid Rally, by Bill
- Students speak out for sanctions against South AfricaCollegiate
Times, October 10, 1989.
- Black Students at Tech Asking for Reforms,
by Jim Chenault
- Black student leaders ask for reforms in the university's curriculum,
News Messenger, November 29, 1989.
- Tech Blacks Urged to Push: Don't Wait for Support,
Bond Tells Crowd, by Daniel Howes and Neal Thompson
- Roanoke Times and World News, November 29, 1989.
- NAACP Petitions for Curriculum Changes, by
- Collegiate Times, December 1, 1989
- Students Emphasize Need for Black Studies
Program, by Eugene Shibuya
Collegiate Times, January 26, 1990.
- Tech Racism Cited, by Karl Dalrymple
- Virginia Tech chapter of the NAACP holds rally to protest apartheid
and racism both on campus and abroad, Collegiate Times, September
- Intolerance on Campus Chills Black at Tech: Lack
of Sensitivity from the White Majority Poses a Constant Pressure to Many
Minorities, by Daniel Howes
- Roanoke Times & World News, November 18, 1990.
- Rally Spurs Prayers, Protest: Event Brings
Hundreds to Talk of Unity, by Cary Lee Hanes
- Celebration of Unity held to counter KKK march, News
Messenger, January 22, 1991.
- Dodging Racism in the University Community,
by Charles Morton
- Experiences of a black student on a predominately white campus.
Collegiate Times, April 24, 1992.
- Black Greeks Inducted into Council, by
Heather McElrath, Collegiate Times, September 17, 1993.