University Libraries, Virginia Tech
A view of Main Street, Blacksburg, Virginia
Pip Cox and John Hitt, Both of Class of 1934, look down from the hill behind Alumi Gate. From the VT ImageBase
Special Collections is located in Carol M. Newman Library at Virginia Tech. Special Collections includes manuscript collections, rare books, and the University Archives. The collection also contains state, local and historical maps and photographs. Our mission is to collect and preserve unique, historical materials and provide access to them in their original form. When possible, Special Collections also offers materials in digital format.
Special Collections is always working on new tools and resources. Here's where you can find more about about us and our collections:
- If you would to search descriptions of our manuscript collections, you can use Virginia Heritage, a state-wide portal for finding aids. Limit your search to "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University to search ONLY our finding aids. Or, search "All repositories" to see what other collections of interest you might find across the state!
- You can search published materials and media items (books, journals, a/v, and more) using the library's catalog, Addison.
- Special Collections: A Basic Introduction is a LibGuide covering the resources available and services we provide in Special Collections. It was designed for use with a class, but it can tell you a lot about us!
- Special Collections Online is our Omeka platform for digital content. We'll be adding new material all the time, so be sure to check back!
- Food & Drink History Resources is our LibGuide for the History of Food and Drink Collection, as well as materials available from Newman Library, other institutions, and online, that can help with culinary history research.
- Preston Family Resources is our LibGuide for materials related to the Preston family in Virginia.
- Local History and Genealogical Research in the University Libraries is our LibGuide for genealogy resources in Special Collections, Newman Library, and online.
Special Collections on Social Media
Special Collections is working to create a social media presence and you can find us on a number of sites!
- Follow us on Twitter, @VT_SCUA
- Our general blog, "In Special Collections @Virginia Tech" will share collections, news, new acquisitions, and events.
- The International Archive of Women in Architecture has a Facebook page.
- The History of Food & Drink Collection inspired "What's Cookin' @Special Collections?!," a blog devoted to food-related publications and manuscripts.
Aaron Purcell, Director, Special Collections
Marc Brodsky, Public Services and Reference Archivist
Kira Dietz, Acquisitions and Processing Archivist
John Jackson, Archives Assistant
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
Laurel Rozema, Processing and Special Projects Archivist
Adrienne Serra, Technical Archivist
Sam Winn, Collections Archivist
Anthony Wright de Hernandez, Community Collections Archivist