University Libraries, Virginia Tech
Special Collections is located in Carol M. Newman Library at Virginia Tech. Special Collections includes manuscript collections, rare books, and the University Archives. The collection also contains state, local and historical maps and photographs. Our mission is to collect and preserve unique, historical materials and provide access to them in their original form. When possible, Special Collections also offers materials in digital format.
Spotlight on Social Media
Little by little, Special Collections is working to create a social media presence and you can find us on a number of sites!
- Our new blog, "In Special Collections @Virginia Tech" will share collections, news, new acquisitions, and events.
- The International Archive of Women in Architecture has a Facebook page.
- The History of Food & Drink Collection inspired "What's Cookin' @Special Collections?!," a blog devoted to food-related publications and manuscripts.
- A 2013 year long Twitter project, with a related blog, will recount the 1863 experiences of a Union private in Virginia and South Carolina.
- You can find pictures from our Historical Photograph Collection and from our blogs on the Virginia Tech Libraries' Pinterest page, too.
Aaron Purcell, Director, Special Collections
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
Marc Brodsky, Public Services and Reference Archivist
Kira Dietz, Processing and Acquisitions Archivist
Sherrie Bowser, Archivist
Ryan Speer, Digital Collections Archivist
Alice Campbell, Digital Collections Specialist
John Jackson, Archives Assistant
Adrienne Serra, Archives Assistant
Christine Thompson, Archives Assistant