University Archives header

From: Historical Data Book: Centennial Edition
Blacksburg, Va.
Bulletin, v. 65, no. 4, April 1972, p. 68


Board of Visitors

Compiled and edited by Jenkins Mikell Robertson

Governor Gilbert C. Walker appointed the first Board of Visitors the day he signed the Bill establishing the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College on March 19, 1872. The first meeting of the Board was in Richmond March 25-26. The firs Board was composed of ten members (three serving three-year terms, three serving two-year terms, three serving one-year terms, and one ex-officio member). Composition of the Board has changed from time to time down through the years. At the end of its first century, the University's Board of Visitors was composed of thirteen members appointed by the Governor and one ex-officio member, the president of the state Board of Agriculture and Commerce.

RECTORS -- The chairman of the Board of Visitors is called the Rector. Rectors since 1872 have been: Harvey Black (1872-75); Gen. G. C. Wharton (1875-77); William Eggleston (1877-80); R. P. Carson (1880-81); James C. Taylor (1882-86); Waller R. Staples (1886-87); J. Hoge Tyler (1887-89); Charles E. Vawter (1889-1900); J. Thompson Brown (1900-08); J. C. Carrington (1908-10); L. E. Johnson (1910-12; J. Thompson Brown, again (1912-21); J. B. Watkins (1921-26); Robert S. Moss (1926-43); James P. Woods (1943-48); William E. Wine (1948-52); Vernon G. Eberwine (1952-56); Guy L. Furr (1956-62); W. Thomas Rice (1962-64); Harry C. Wyatt (1964-70); C. Eugene Rowe (1970 - ).


University Libraries Digital Library and Archives Special Collections University Archives

Send questions or comments to:
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist, University Libraries
Virginia Tech, P.O. Box 90001, Blacksburg, VA 24062-9001
Page design:
Mohamed Amin and Tamara Kennelly
URL:http://spec.lib.vt.edu /archives/125th/bov/firstbov.html
Last Updated on: Monday, 28-Jan-2002 16:55:19 EST