Fifty-Year Celebration of the Department of Biochemistry
University Archives / University Libraries / Department of Biochemistry

MOTHERCRAFT CENTERS COMBINE NUTRITION AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Kendall W. King - Journal of Nutrition Education, Summer, 1971

Results

By these measures of effectiveness, the general picture that emerges is that 50% to 60% of the children continue to improve in percent standard weight after discharge, and about 25% continue to hold the gains they made in the center. This would indicate that 75% to 85% of the mothers are doing a clearly better job of child-rearing after their training than before. The remaining 15% to 25% of the youngsters go back downhill.

The reasons for these failures usually turn out to be health problems not correctable by diet or a family economic situation so desperate that even the least-cost dietetic taught in the center cannot be achieved.

As a public health measure for both rehabilitation of malnourished children and for interrupting the circle of circumstances leading to their illness, Mothercraft Centers have proven effective in many countries. They have been found to be adaptable to a variety of cultures, economic situations, and organizational schemes.

They have earned a place among the few measures proven by experience to have a reliable role in combating and preventing malnutrition among the world's poor.

next >>


Articles / Mothercraft Centers / I_II_III_IV_Ref