The position of Vice-President for Finance was created in 1968. William Lavery was the first person to hold this position. However, the duties of this office can be traced to the appointment of the first treasurer in 1872. In 1920, the Office of Business Manager was established and the duties of the treasurer were coordinated with this new office. From 1966-68, this office was under the Vice-President for Administration. For a list of business managers since 1920, see page 72 of the Historical Data Book.
The official records of the Vice-President for Finance are still in Records Management. Unofficial records in the University Archives include publications, memoranda, and newspaper clippings.
The University Archives contains records of the Business Manager and Treasurer, which are described below.
- Annual Financial Report (LD5655 A2 T8)
- Capital Outlay Needs, 1956-62 (Report to the Commission on State Capital Outlays and Means of Financing, March 1955) (LD5655 A2 1955)
- Capital Outlay Needs, 1966-72 (LD5655 A2 1964)
- Capital Outlay Needs, 1968-74 (LD5655 A2 1968)
- Present Condition and Outlook at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and the Necessity for the Appropriation Asked for Buildings and Equipment and for an Increase of Annuity; Including a Statement of Moneys Expended (LD5655 A4 1903; LD5655 A4 1906)
- Report to the Commission on State Capital Outlays and Means of Financing, 1955 (LD5655 A2 1977)
- Summary of VPI&SU Budget Requests for Maintenance and Operations for 1979-80 (LD5655 A2 1977)
- Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute: Appropriations Asked and Reasons Therefor (LD5655 A4 1916)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute Needs (LD5655 A4 1918)
Cassell, Stuart K.
Records of the Office of the Business Manager, 1945-66
67 cu. ft.
This collection consists primarily of correspondence. Besides budget and other financial information, there are records concerning construction, buildings grounds maintenance, and other physical plant matters. The collection also contains Cassell's records as Vice-President of Administration, 1966-75. Because the bulk of the material concerns this latter position, but the material is interfiled, the records have been kept together as one collection under RG 6/1.
Finding aid for Records of the Office of the Vice President for Administration, Stuart K. Cassell, 1945-1975 available on the Virginia Heritage database.
Office of the Treasurer
At the first Board of Visitors meeting on 18 July 1872, it was decided to "elect annually a Treasurer, who should also act as Secretary to the Faculty and Board of Visitors, Librarian and Proctor..." Until 1948/49 the individual holding the office of Treasurer held concurrently the position of secretary of the Board of Visitors. For a list of individuals holding this office from 1872-1972, see Historical Data Book 1872-1972.
1.0 cu. ft. and 1 vol.
This collection contains mainly financial records (1877-1918) and correspondence (1889-1914). Included with the financial records are: list of state bonds (1877); insurance policies (1877-1914); statement of insurance (1882-86, 1889, 1892); daily financial records (1888-1911); electric light records (1893); farm reports (1901, 1903-04, 1906, 1908-09); private dining hall register (1910, 1916, 1917). There is also a Treasurer's Book of Revenue from June 1893 to August 1898. The correspondence includes letters to and from Theodore Campbell (Dean of the Faculty), John Thompson Brown (Rector of Board of Visitors), and President Eggleston. Also in the correspondence files can be found Appropriations to Departments (1916/17), Virginia Crop Pest Commission monthly report (1917-20), and Departmental receipts and disbursements (1918).