Archives logo
Campus Unrest Virginia Tech Historical Data Book Pre-WWII at Virginia Tech Historical Virginia Tech Digital Image collection of Virginia Tech Cadets The Bugle Interior, Old Library Go to Archives Home page

Record Group 15 - College of Arts and Sciences

The College of Arts and Sciences began in 1962 when Applied Sciences and Business Administration was divided into the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Business. However, several of the departments existed long before they were formed into the College of Arts and Sciences, with some tracing their roots back to the beginning of the school in 1872.

Return to Guide


Records

Besides the individual department records described below, departmental histories are also available in the Special Collections Department.


Art Department

(RG 15/3)

Various drawing courses were offered at Virginia Tech since 1872. In 1967, a curriculum in Art was developed and administered jointly by the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Architecture. The Art Department was established in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1976 and then became the Department of Art and Art History in 1983.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1967-Present

Vertical files of newspaper clippings and miscellaneous publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1967 to present.


Biology Department

(RG 15/5)
Biology courses have been offered at Virginia Tech since its beginning ,in 1872. In 1891, the Biology Department was formed. The department was divided into two departments in 1926: Botany and Plant Pathology; Zoology and Animal Pathology. In 1935, the department was united again as the Biology Department.

Annual Reports, 1931-32

Annual reports, 1931-32, for the Department of Zoology and Animal Pathology can be located in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College-J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and miscellaneous publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Chemistry Department

(RG 15/6)
Chemistry courses have been offered since 1872. However, the department has gone through several name and organizational changes: General and Analytical Chemistry (1873-83); Chemistry and Metallurgy (1883-87); Chemistry, Geology, and Mineralogy (1887-91); General Chemistry, Mineralogy, and Geology (1891-1901); General and Industrial Chemistry (1901-02); Geology, Mineralogy, and Organic Chemistry (1902-03); General Chemistry (1903-04); Chemistry (1904-29); Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (1929-35); Chemistry (1935-present).

Annual Reports, 1929-32, 1937-38

Annual reports for the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (1929-32, 1937-38) can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College-J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960-present.


Computer Science Department

(RG 15/7)
Courses have been offered in Computer Science since 1968. It became a department in 1970.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1968-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1968 to present.


Economics Department

(RG 15/8)
Courses in economics have been offered under a variety of different department names: English and Economics (1904-05); History and Economics(1905-16); Economics and Political Science (1916-17); Economics and History (1924-57); a curriculum in Business Administration Department (1957-61); and Economics (1961-present).

Newspaper Clippins and Printed Material, 1961-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1961-present.


Physics Department

(RG 15/9)
Physics courses have been offered in some form since 1872. The Department of Physics and Mechanics was formed in 1883, followed by Physics and Electrical Engineering in 1891, Mathematics and Physics in 1898, and Physics in 1904.

Annual Reports, 1929-32

Annual reports for the Department of Physics, 1929-32, can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College-J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


English Department

(RG 15/10)
Courses in English have been offered since 1872. The different department names and organizations have included: English Language and Literature (1872-83); English Language, Literature, and Criticism (1883-87); English and Latin (1887-91); English, History, and Political Economy (1891-98); English, History, and Political Economy (1891-98); English, History, and Spanish (1898-1902); English and Spanish (1902-03); English and Political Economy (1903-04); English and Economics (1904-05); English (1905-58); English and Foreign Languages (1958-65); and English (1965-present).

Annual Reports, 1929-32

Annual reports of the Department of English and Foreign Languages, 1929-32, can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College-J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Foreign Languages and Literature Department

(RG 15/11)
Foreign language courses have been offered since 1872. The different department names and organizations have included: Latin (1873-87); English and Latin (1887-91); English, History, and Spanish (1198-1902); English and Spanish (1902-03); Modern Languages and Latin (1915-20); Foreign Languages (1920-58); English and Foreign Languages (1958-65); and Foreign Languages (1965-present).

Annual Reports, 1929-32

Annual reports for the Department of English and Foreign Languages, 1929-32, can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College - J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Geological Sciences

(RG 15/12)
The first degree in Geology was given in 1910. Courses in the geological sciences have been offered under the following departments: Chemistry, Geology, and Mineralogy (1887-91); General Chemistry, Mineralogy, and Geology (1891-1901); Mineralogy (1901-02); Geology, Mineralogy, and Organic Chemistry (1902-03); Geology and Mineralogy (1903-07); Applied Geology (1907-20); Geology (1920-55); and Geological Sciences (1955-present).

Annual Reports, 1929-31

Annual reports for the Department of Geology, 1929-31, can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College - J.E. Williams).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


History Department

(RG 15/13)
History courses have been offered since 1872. The various department names and organizations have included: English, History, and Political Economy (1891-98); English, History, and Spanish (1898-1902); History (1902-06); History and Economics (1906-16); Economics and History (1924-57); courses offered through Business Administration Department (1957-61); History and Political Science (1961-65); and History (1961-present).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Mathematics Department

(RG 15/14)
Mathematics courses have been offered since 1872. The different names and organizations of the department have included: Mathematics (1872-91); Mathematics and Civil Engineering (1891-94); Mathematics (1894-97); Mathematics and Physics (1897-1904); and Mathematics (1904-present).

Annual Reports, 1929-31

Annual reports for the Department of Mathematics, 1929-31, can be found in RG 11/2 (Dean of the College - J.E. Williams).

Publication
  • Horne, B.C. and John W. Layman, A History of the Mathematics Department at Virginia Tech, 1872-1981 (LD5655 A562 M3 1983)
Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Performing Arts and Communications Department

(RG 15/15)
The Department of Performing Arts and Communications was created in 1970. However, music courses were first offered in 1965 and theatre arts courses in 1967.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1965-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1965 to present.


Political Science Department

(RG 15/16)
Courses in political economy were first offered in 1875. The different names and organizational structures that political science courses have been offered under include: English, History, and Political Economy (1891-98); English, History, and Spanish (1898-1902); History (1902-06); History and Economics (1906-16); Economics and History (1924-57); Business Administration (1957-61); History and Political Science (1961-65); and Political Science (1965-present).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1965-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1965 to present.

Psychology Department

(RG 15/17)
The Department of Psychology and Sociology was formed in 1965 and the Department of Psychology in 1968. Prior to 1965, psychology courses were offered in the Vocational Education Department.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Materials, 1965-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1965 to present.


Statistics Department

(RG 15/18)
Courses have been offered in Statistics since 1946. From 1946 to 1949, the Department was called Agriculture Economics, Rural Sociology, and Statistics; since 1949, it has been the Department of Statistics. The first Bachelors degree in Statistics was awarded in 1948.

Records, 1943-74

10 cu. ft.
These are the files of Boyd Harshbarger, Professor of Statistics 1944-76, Faculty Advisor of Statistics Students 1947-56, Statistician for the Agricultural Experiment Station 1943-56, and Head of the Department of Statistics 1956-73. The records reflect his activities in each of these positions. There is a large amount of material (correspondence, reports, speeches, etc.) dealing with the Southern Regional Education Board and the annual Southern Regional Graduate Summer Session Seminars on Statistics. Included with these materials are files of the Regional Committee on Statistics of SREB, of which Harshbarger was a member. There is also material concerning other professional organizations: American Statistical Association, Biometric Society, Econometric Society, Institute of Management Statistics, and the Marketing Association. The collection also includes: correspondence with William B. Anderson of the Environmental Protection Division of the U.S. Army Quartermaster Research and Development Center; materials concerning annual conferences on the Design of Experiments (Army Research Center); files of the Virginia Education Commission's Committee on Financing Education (of which Harshbarger was a member); items concerning the petition to offer Ph.D. work in Statistics at VPI & SU; departmental financial records such as requisitions, vouchers, and reports on office supplies, travel, and appropriations; articles and conference papers written by Harshbarger; correspondence with students and other individuals; lists of graduates of the Department of Statistics, 1945-74; and correspondence and reports dealing with the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station. There is also a collection of histories of statistics at various universities including: Florida State, Florida Tech, Georgia, Kentucky, Southwestern Louisiana, Louisiana State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Oak Ridge, Oklahoma State, Rice, South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Southern Methodist, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, and Virginia Commonwealth. Also to be found in the collection are typed manuscripts of "A History of the Statistics Department at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" and "A History of the Early Development of Modern Statistics in America (1920-1944) and Its Development in the South (1930-57)," both written by Harshbarger.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.


Sociology Department

(RG 15/19)
Rural sociology courses were offered as early as 1872. Since that time, sociology courses have been offered under the following departments: Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (1929-33); Agricultural Economics (1933-40); Agricultural Economics, Rural Sociology, and Statistics (1946-48); Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (1948-65); Psychology and Sociology (1965-68); and Sociology (1965-68); and Sociology (1968-present).

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1948-Present

Mounted clippings for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, 1948-59, can be found under classification "MAEC." Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present under the record group number.


Geography Department

(RG 15/20)
Courses in geography were offered as early as 1872. The Geography Department was established in 1978. Prior to that time, a Program in Geography was offered through the College of Arts and Sciences beginning in 1973. Before 1973, geography classes were offered through Courses in General Arts and Sciences.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1973-Present

Files of newspapers and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1973 to present.


Philosophy and Religion Department

(RG 15/21)
The Department of Philosophy and Religion was formed in 1955. However, moral philosophy courses had been offered as early as 1872 and religion courses since 1954.

Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1960-Present

Files of newspaper clippings and publications such as brochures and flyers are maintained for 1960 to present.

Return to Guide


VT History | Digital Library and Archives | Special Collections | University Archives


Send questions or comments to:
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
Special Collections
University Libraries
Virginia Tech
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061

URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/archives/guide/rg15.htm
Last Modified on: Monday, 18-Jun-2001 16:34:14 EDT


Site design by: Tamara Kennelly, Oladunni Akinpelu and Katie Bondroff
VT Libraries Logo