Record Group 19 - College of Human Resources
Courses in Home Economics have been offered since 1921 and the Department of
Home Economics began in 1924. The department was suspended in 1933 due to
economic conditions, but reinstated in 1937. Until 1951, the General Assembly required students pursuing a degree in home economics to attend Radford College (VPI's Women's Division) for their first two years. In 1958, the Board of Visitors authorized establishment of a separate school of home economics at Virginia Tech, followed by the combining of the programs at Tech and Radford College under one dean. When the merger between Tech and Radford was abolished in 1964, Tech's school became the College of Home Economics. In order to convey the broader scope of the College's offerings, the Board of Visitors approved a name change to College of Human Resources on 22 March 1982.
Newspaper Clippings and Printed Material, 1948-Present
Mounted clippings, 1948-59, can be located under classification "MAHm." Some mounted clippings on home economics prior to 1948 may exist under classification "MA." Vertical files of newspaper clippings and printed material, such as brochures and circulars, from 1960 to present are maintained under the record group number.