Record Group 25 - Research Division
The Virginia General Assembly established a University-wide Research Division in 1966.
The Division combined the activities of the Agricultural Experiment Station and the
Engineering Experiment Station.
Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station
The Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station was established in 1886 by an act of the
Virginia General Assembly and funded by the federal Hatch Act of 1887 for the purpose
of providing practical and useful information on agricultural and scientific subjects.
Originally, it was organized into three departments: agriculture, botany and entomology,
and chemistry. VAES was responsible for several agricultural research stations and
laboratories throughout Virginia.
On 1 July 1966, the research activities of the Agricultural Experiment Station, as well as
the Engineering Experiment Station, were combined under a University-wide Research
28 cu. ft.
This collection contains primarily farm surveys and reports. Subjects covered include cattle, crop rotations, insecticides, orchards, etc. There are also statistical surveys on farm operations and productions in ten Virginia counties: Albemarle (1935, 2 vols.); Appomatox (1935-36, 4 vols.); Floyd (1937, 2 vols.); Grayson (1930-31, 8 vols.); Halifax (1939, 7 vols.); Henry (1940, 7 vols.); Nansemond (1932, 17 vols.); Norfolk (1931-32, 7 vols.); Pittsylvania (1933-36, 42 vols.); and Russell (1935, 9 vols.). Also included are 9 volumes of poultry surveys for several Virginia counties (1931-32) and a Truck survey done in 1938. In addition, the collection contains correspondence, Virginia State Crop Pest Commission material, weather reports 1903-33, and annual reports of investigations of the Field laboratories.
Engineering Experiment Station
The Board of Visitors established a Virginia Engineering Experiment Station in 1921 to "stimulate and advance engineering education and to investigate problems of special importance to engineering and other industrial interests of the state and nation." In 1966, the Station was abolished and its duties absorbed by the University-wide Research
The University Archives does not have any official records of the Virginia Engineering Experiment Station, but does contain mounted clippings from 1923-60 (M 10, #5; M 123, #5; M 171, #8, ML 4, #2) and Bulletins from 1923-66 (call
number TA7 V5 #1-#160).