Archives logo
Campus Unrest Virginia Tech Historical Data Book Pre-WWII at Virginia Tech Historical Virginia Tech Digital Image collection of Virginia Tech Cadets The Bugle Interior, Old Library Go to Archives Home page

Record Group 26 - Extension Division

A University-wide Extension Division was established on 1 July 1966 by the General Assembly. It combined the activities of the Cooperative Extension Service, General Extension Division, State Technical Services, and Continuing Education Center. However, extension work at VPI & SU can trace its roots to 1906 when an extension program was established in Virginia as a result of the farm demonstration work began by Dr. Seaman A. Knapp in Texas in 1903. Dr. John D. Eggleston, the superintendent of public instruction in Virginia at the time and later VPI president, invited Knapp to speak at a meeting in Richmond and that talk resulted in the beginning of the program in Virginia. When the Smith-Lever Act of 1914 was passed, authority for extension, or demonstration, work was transferred to Virginia Tech and it became known as the Agricultural Extension until 1966 when it became the Cooperative Extension Service before being absorbed into the overall Extension Division.

Return to Guide


Records

Engineering Extension Division

(RG 26/1)
The Engineering Division began in 1923 and its main function was to present technical information in usable form for the public. Directors of the Engineering Extension were: R.B.H. Begg (1924-32), E.B. Norris (1932-52), and John W. Whittemore (1952-62). In 1962, the Engineering Extension became simply General Extension and then became part of the University-wide Extension Division in 1966.


Bureau of Community Development

(RG 26/1a)
The Bureau of Community Development was one of three bureaus of the Engineering Extension Division that were started in 1929. (The other two were the Industrial Service Bureau and the Bureau of Extension Instruction.) Its purpose was to assist cities and Chambers of Commerce in making industrial surveys and other studies for industrial development, as well as advising on municipal engineering projects and providing library services for municipal affairs. In 1937, all three bureaus ceased to exist as separate operations, but their activities were continued by the Engineering Extension Division as a whole.

Records, 1928-31

1.0 cu. ft.
This collection contains typed manuscripts of twenty-nine Industrial Surveys of various counties and cities in Virginia from 1928-31. The manuscripts only vary slightly from the published volumes (cataloged, LD5655 A6552 1929), containing margin notes, editing, and certain information not contained in the published items. Arrangement is sometimes different as well. Nineteen of the surveys, made by the VPI Engineering Extension Division and sponsored by Southwestern Virginia, Inc. (a regional chamber of commerce serving the entire Southwest Virginia area), cover the following counties in Southwest Virginia: Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Craig, Dickerson, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Lee, Montgomery (and the city of Radford), Pulaski, Roanoke, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe. Ten of the surveys cover the following counties and cities in other parts of the state: Arlington County, Bedford, Edinburg and Madison District, Farmville, Halifax County, Orange County, Portsmouth, Tazewell-North Tazewell, and Wytheville. Theses survey were directed by Reuben Lee Humbert, who was manager of the Bureau of Community Development from 1929-36.

Also contained here is a typed manuscript entitled "A Brief History of Nansemond County, VA." There is no author indicated on the manuscript.


Agricultural Extension Service (now Virginia Cooperative Extension Service)

(RG 26/2)
As stated previously, the Agricultural Extension began with the passage of the Smith- Lever Act in 1914, but can trace its roots back to 1906 when extension work in agriculture and home economics began in Virginia. In 1966, the Agricultural Extension Service became the Cooperative Extension Service and part of the overall Extension Division of VPI & SU. For a complete history, see College of the Fields: Highlights of the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service, 1914-1980.

Records, 1914-80

3.4 cu. ft.
This collection consists of files compiled in preparing the history of the Cooperative Extension Service entitled College of the Fields: Highlights of the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service, 1914-1980. Included in the collection are: lists of county agents (1914-80); correspondence, articles, speeches and other items from the files of Ella Agnew, first home demonstration agent in the U.S.; information on Seaman Knapp, T.O. Sandy, Maude Wallace, and other pioneers of extension work; information on negro extension work, 4-H, Black Extension Homemakers Club, Virginia Extension Homemakers Council, and home demonstration work; typed manuscripts of articles and speeches by John R. Hutcheson; photographs of home demonstration work and the people involved; publications consulted for the history; and a rough draft of the history with margin notes and editing.


Donaldson Brown Center for Continuing Education


Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center

(RG 26/3)

26/3/1 Seminars, conferences, etc. (publications)
26/3/2 Non credit conference listings
26/3/3 Dining and entertainment

4-H/ Future Farmers of America (FFA)/ Future Homemakers of America (FHA)

(RG 26/4)

4-H All-Stars Papers, 1991-2002
(RG 26/4/1)

4.2 cu. ft.
Papers of Virginia Chapter of the 4-H All-Stars, a student organization in which membership is based on leadership, service, and activities. Papers consist of minutes, special conference schedules, correspondence, financial reports, bylaws and policies, nomination information, and photographs.

Finding aid available in EAD online.


Technical Resources

(RG 26/5)


Community Resource Development

(RG 26/6)


Institute for Leadership and Volunteer Development


(Formerly Center of Volunteer Development)

(RG 26/7)

26/7a Reports and monographs
26/7b Newsletter

Agri-Tech Week


(Animal Industry Day)

(RG 26/8)

Return to Guide


VT History | Digital Library and Archives | Special Collections | University Archives


Send questions or comments to:
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
Special Collections
University Libraries
Virginia Tech
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061

URL: http://spec.lib.vt.edu/archives/guide/rg26.htm
Last Modified on: Monday, 14-Aug-2017 17:05:59 EDT


Site design by: Tamara Kennelly, Oladunni Akinpelu and Katie Bondroff
VT Libraries Logo
(jmj)