Record Group 30 - Faculty Organizations
Meetings of the General Faculty
From the early years of the institution until the formation of a formal senate in 1969, meetings of the
general faculty were held on a regular basis to discuss policies, procedures, and issues concerning the
Records, 1915, 1919-34
0.2 cu. ft.
This collection contains one small notebook of handwritten minutes of faculty meetings, 1915, concerning Summer School and one volume of typescript minutes to meetings of the general faculty, 1919-34, which also includes some correspondence and memorial resolutions as well as attendance sheets.
Science Club Council
The VPI Science Club was organized in 1914 by "those interested in scientific work at the V.P.I." The club was primarily a faculty organization, but was open to undergraduate students in the "Junior or Senior classes." In 1958, the Science Club changed its name to the VPI Science Council, developed new objectives, and changed its organizational structure, "to better the promotion of science." At that time, it became wholly a faculty organization, "with particular emphasis given to coordinating science activities where needed, formulating resolutions, and sponsoring special council projects." The organization was abolished in 1960.
0.4 cu. ft.
The Science Club records include: minute books (handscript and typescript, 4 vols., 1914-58), scattered correspondence, memoranda, financial reports, membership rosters (1936-58), receipt and expenditure books (2 vols, 1938-46), and two small receipt books of dues (1945-48). The Science Council records include scattered minutes, correspondence, and memoranda (1958-60).
Newspaper Clippings, 1926-58
The University Archives has mounted clippings about the Science Club, dating from 1926-58, under the classification Mo 26.
The Faculty Senate was formed in 1969 by approval of the Board of Visitors to "articulate faculty views on campus policies and procedures."
Finding aid available online.
5.8 cu. ft.
The minutes of the Faculty Senate, 1969 to present, make up the core of this collection. The minutes and reports of the Faculty Senate Steering Committee, 1967-69, also are included in this collection. Other materials, 1969-80, include: annual reports of the Senate presidents, cabinet minutes, constitutions and bylaws, correspondence, memoranda, minutes and reports of various committees and subcommittees, reports, and Senate rosters. Also included are scattered minutes and other materials dealing with the Commission on Faculty Affairs, Commission on Research and Graduate Studies, Commission on Student Affairs, Commission on Undergraduate Studies, Student Government Association, and University Council.
American Association of University Professors, Virginia Tech Chapter
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is a national organization of university professors, with state and local chapters, concerned with all aspects of teaching in higher education. It was formed in 1915.
3.0 cu. ft.
This collection includes: constitutions and bylaws, correspondence, chapter letters, faculty surveys, financial statements, lists of committees, material concerning the national organization, membership lists, minutes, miscellaneous publications, regional and state correspondence and minutes, and reports.
American Association of University Women, Virginia Tech Chapter
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) began in 1881. The Virginia Tech chapter was formed in 1926.
3.2 cu. ft.
This collection consists of records of the local chapter of the AAUW including minutes (1930-90), copies of the Bulletin (local newsletter, 1936-91), treasurer's records (1936-88), membership lists (1936-89), state and national convention programs, yearbooks (1990-92), a branch history, award certificates, and reports and other materials concerning various projects and programs.
Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society, Virginia Tech Chapter
The Virginia Tech Chapter of Sigma Xi: the Scientific Research Society was granted its charter by the national society in 1940.
Materials consist of the framed charter establishing the chapter at Virginia Tech. Lists chapter members.