Virginia Tech University Archive
of the Papers of John McLaren McBryde, Fifth President of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical
- 148: Fain-Fuqua 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Questionnaire form Harvard University St. Paul's Catholic Club with response from V.P.I.
- b: Notable letterhead from Franklin County Telephone Co., 1907.
- c: Business Card for Fitz-Hugh, Luther Co., 1906 for railway equipment.
- d: Correspondence with Catholic family concerning the facilities at Tech & ways to improve them 1907.
- e: Correspondence with Dr. Fletcher about building up the Agricultural side of V.P.I.
- f: Notable letterhead from Bridgewater College, 1907.
- g: Letter stating exact costs of V.P.I. 1906.
- h: Invitation to visit Hampton Normal and Agriculture Institute, 1907 during the
Jamestown Exposition explain the foundation & management of the
institution school for Negro & Indian races.
- i: Correspondence regarding McBryde's resignation & the open position of
- 149: Gaines-Guy 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Official V.P.I. explanation from, 1907, asking to take Stock Management and Practice in Breeding instead of French and Wood Working.
- b: Letter from Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Co. Office of Passenger Traffic
Manager 1906, discussing the students fare and a new federal law.
- c: Notable letterhead from the National Freight Service Association, with the
Origin of the National Freight Service Association on the back of the
- d: Letter from the House of Representatives of The United States, Carter Glass.
- e: Notable letterhead from Grimes Bros. Merchant Millers, 1907.
- f: Notable letterhead from Nasseau Orchards, 1907.
- 150: Original Documents from 149: Gaines-Guy 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- 151: Haas-Herron 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Notable letterhead from Hammond Typewriter Co., 1907.
- b: Letter from the United States Department of Agriculture, Office of Experiment
Stations, talking about the creation of a Department of Extension Work at
V.P.I., and asking for the advise of the Board of Visitors, 1907.
- c: Notable letterhead from Guggenheimer & Co. Inc., 1907.
- d: Letter to the University in reference to the terms of the deed for the Camper
property and how the University has failed them, 1906.
- e: Notable letterhead from Ongersoll-Rand Company, 1907.
- f: Notable letterhead from the State Board of Agriculture and Immigration.
- 152: Heard-Hydraulic Press Mfg. Co. 1906-1907
- a: Letter from the South Park, Methodist Episcopal Church, recommendation for Mr. H.D. Hemenway of the Hartford School of Horticulture, from Elmer A. Dent.
- b: Letter inviting McBryde to a series of talks given at the Carnegie House to the
men who were members of the clubs and to the prospective young voters.
- c: Lecture schedule for the Home Culture Clubs, course in gardening,
H.D.Hemenway, titles, times and subject material of each lecture being
- d: Letter referring to the unsanitary condition of the sewer line between the
infirmary and Agriculture Hall, 1906.
- e: Notable letterhead from Virginia Pilot Association, 1907.
- f: Letter confirming the nomination of Mr. S.M. Herrick as Assistant Chemist of
the Experiment station, 1906.
- g: Notable letterhead from Army and Navy Department of the International
Committee Young Men's Christian Association, 1907.
- h: Letter discussing the changes that took place in the Geology department , 1907.
- i: Letter from Dr. McBryde before his retirement recommending Dr. Holden to the Board of Visitors, 1907.
- j: Letter from a parent in reference to the poor food served to the students at Tech
and the alternatives, with response from the acting president.
- k: Letter from McBryde about a boy wishing to resign due to homesickness and
Dr. McBryde's advise on the matter including a statement from the
president concerning looking after the boy if he stays and making sure he
makes friends who encourage him to stay, 1907.
- l: Correspondence in regard to the restructuring of the English department,
including proposal of possible division of work, 1907.
- m: Letter from Iowa State College concerning the expansion at V.P.I. instruction
staff, with recommendations, 1907.
- n: Correspondence referring to the tents as living quarters for the students, 1907.
- 153: Original Documents from folder 152: Heard-Hydraulic Press Mfg. Co. 1906-1907.
- 154: Irving-Jenkins 1906-1907
- a: Letter referring to a short course during the winter break for farmers, 1907.
- b: Letter referring to the acceptance of Prof. S.W.Fletcher to be the director of the Experiment Station and professor of Experimental Agriculture, and the
work being done there.
- c: List of military experience from J.S.A. Johnson for Commandant, 1906.
- d: Correspondence with the War Department, Office of the Chief of Ordnance,
Washington, about the ammunition and orders made by V.P.I., 1906.
- e: Letter referring to the Grand Camp of the United Confederate Veterans of
Virginia's reunion, and asking for the Cadet military band to play, 1906.
- f: Letter referring to the firing of explosives form the barracks, an account of the
- g: Notable letterhead from Virginia-Carolina Stave & Lumber Co. Inc., 1906.
- 155: Jenkins-Joynes 1906-1907
- a: Letter from the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Public Instruction State Board of Examiners, 1906.
- b: Letter referring to Mr. Campers interest in the water rights, 1907.
- c: Letter from McBryde recommending Dr. Barringer for promotion into full
- d: Letter to Dr. McBryde in regard to the fees for representation of the University
for the Christian Case, 1906.
- e: Letter acknowledging the resignation of Mr. J.M. Johnson the instructor in the
Shops Department of V.P.I., 1906.
- f: Notable letterhead from the Pulaski Anthrarite Coal Company,1907.
- g: Notable letterhead from Ardie-Tynes Manufacturing Co., 1907.
- h: Form from the University of Pennsylvania Alumni catalogue committee, 1906, requesting information on Dr. George G. McBryde.
- 156: Original Documents from folder 155: Jenkins-Joynes 1906-1907
- 157: Kaatz-Kyle 1906-1907
- a: Notable letterhead from Staunton Military Academy, 1906.
- b: Letter from McBryde regarding to work being done in the " Negro interest,"
reference to work done by McBryde on the subject,1907.
- c: Notable letterhead from Kimball & Rogers Printers, 1907.
- d: Notable letterhead from Tidewater Publishing Co., 1907.
- e: Notable letterhead from Student Volunteer Movement for Foreign Missions,
- f: Notable letterhead from Edward's Mining Company, 1907.
- g: Notable letterhead from The Stoddard, 1907.
- 158: Lachicotte-Lueckel 1906-1907 McBryde- Barringer
- a: Notable letterhead from R.A. DePriest, Plumbing and Tinning, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Kavanaugh Bros., 1906.
- c: Notable letterhead from Lane Brothers Company, 1907.
- d: Letter from the House of Representative, Washington in response to a letter
from McBryde, 1907.
- e: Notable letterhead from M.H. Lash, 1906.
- f: Inspection and insurance report from the Hartford Steam Boiler, Inspection and Insurance Company of Hartford Connecticut, on the condition of the
Steam Boiler at V.P.I., inspected on August 16 & 17, 1907.
- g: Notable letterhead from The Investor's Title, Trust & Realty Co., 1906.
- h: Letter referring to a suit of the Central Manufacturing Company, dealing with
Col. Patton before he died.
- i: Notable letterhead from the M.C. Lilley & Co., 1906.
- j: Notable letterhead from Joseph Dixon Crucible Co., 1906.
- 159:Original Documents from 158: Lochicotte-Lueckel 1906-1907 McBryde- Barringer
- 160: Mabey-McCoy 1906-1907 McBryde- Barringer
- a: Letter including an abstract of experience from T.O. Mabry, professor of Natural Sciences at Winthrop College, South Carolina, 1907.
- b: Notable letterhead from the Southern Bagging Co.
- c: Printed statement in regard to the Army Longevity pay which accrued prior to
February 24, 1881, sent from Herbert and Micou Attorneys at law.
- d: Notable letterhead from Ainsle & Martin manufacturers Agents, and Jobbers of, 1906.
- e: Notable letterhead from Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company,1906.
- f: Letter form Mr. H.L. Maynard in the House of Representatives in reference to a bill to develop and promote Agriculture and Dairy production in Virginia,1907.
- g: Application and Resume of Dr. Rufus M. Bagg Jr. Looking for a job in the
Geology department, 1907.
- h: Notable letterhead from New River Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Company,
- i: Letter from the School and College Bureau about openings of six jobs in
- 161: Original Documents from folder 160: Mabry-McCoy 1906-1907 McBryde-Barringer
- 162: McBryde Miscellaneous
- a: Letter from the Board of Visitors accepting his resignation and naming the date for it to take place, 1906.
- b: List of discussions at the meeting of the Executive Committee, September 7,
- c: Report of the Institution for the current session written April 6, 1904.
- d: Official note to the Treasurer, concerning the changes in salary.
- e: Minutes for a meeting of the Board of Visitors, 1906.
- f: Report of Appropriations and Expenditures since 1891.
- 163: McCoy-Myers 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Letters from the faculty in reference to the refrigeration machine.
- b: Notable letterhead from J.S. Walker Lumber Company, 1907.
- c: Letter from the War Department, Bureau of Insular Affairs in Washington
regarding the 300 vacant teaching positions to be filled in the upcoming
spring in the Philippines, 1907.
- d: Letter from the War Department, Bureau of Insular Affairs in Washington,
requesting the names of former students qualified for twenty positions
teaching various technical subjects in the Philippines.
- e: Information letter about a male industrial teacher position for Philippine Service with information concerning the Service and the job included, 1907.
- f: Publication from the Government of the Philippine Islands, Department of
Instruction, Bureau of Education: A Statement of Organization and Aims
Published for General Information, 1906.
- g: Notable letterhead from the Hotel Wachapreague, Island House Ocean Front,
- h: Letter from the North Carolina Trust Company, includes sales pitch about
- i: Notable letterhead from Randolph Macon Academy, 1907.
- j: Invitation to the Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial School of Technology, Potsdam,
New York, Founders Day Celebration. November 13, 1906.
- k: Letter from Frank Mills, Department of Geology and Biology at St. Lawrence
University referring to a vacancy in the geology department at Tech, 1907.
- l: Notable letterhead from The Miller Allaire Co., 1906.
- 165: Neal-Nyman 1906-1907
- a: 1905 Original newspaper copy of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute
- b: Notable letterhead from Arkansas Agriculture Experiment Station, 1906.
- c: Notable letterhead from the Neostyle Co., 1904.
- d: Letter from the News Leader in Richmond, VA discussing the new rule at V.P.I. forbidding students to correspond with the newspapers.
- e: Correspondence with a mother whose son received a gun shot wound in the
thigh and was under the care of the school surgeon, 1907.
- 166: Original Documents from folder 165: Neal-Nyman 1906-1907
- 167: Oakes-Owens 1906-1907
- a: Notable letterhead from Stephen Putney Shoe Co., 1904
- b: Notable letterhead from The Oliver Typewriter Company, 1906.
- 168: Pace-Pearson 1906-1907
- a: Notable letterhead from the Pacific Era, a Japanese newspaper for the Japanese
students at the University, 1907.
- b: Letter from the University of Virginia Dean, J.M. Page with question about
young men's interest in a liberal education and desire to know the numbers.
- c: Letter from an alumnus working for Star Electric Company, asking if the school
was interested in a fire alarm system, 1907.
- d: Letter to a parent with list of expenditures, 1907.
- e: Notable letterhead from The National Association of Audubon Societies, 1907
referring to the protection of wild birds on farms because of their economic
- 169: Original Documents from folder 168: Pace-Pearson 1906-1907
- 170: Pearson-Quillen 1906-1907
- a: Letter from Dr. Newel Perry a former instructor of Mathematics at the
University of California seeking possible employment with V.P.I. 1908.
- b: Notable letterhead from Penn and Rison Tobacco, 1907.
- c: Correspondence with Charles E. Picot Printing Co. with acceptance of bid by
V.P.I. for the printing of the catalogues, 1907.
- d: Letter from the Bureau of Education regarding the year end report, 1907.
- e: Various correspondence in reference to students being able to work their way
- f: Letter from the United States Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant
Industry, with a recommendation for the directorship of the Virginia
Experiment Station, 1907.
- g: Letter making an offer to Mr. Charles Piper with statement about fighting to
build the agriculture school, 1907.
- h: Notable letterhead from Poehlmann & Schnepfe Lumber, Coal and Mill Work,
- i: Letter from Norfolk and Western Railway Co. including questions for the
University to fill out and return, 1906.
- j: Notable letterhead from Suffolk Packing Co. Inc., 1907.
- k: Letter from Secretary of University of Virginia concerning some photographs of
- l: Letter from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, asking
particular questions about the income of the institution during certain
years, 1906. (With reply from V.P.I. a few letters later.)
- 171: Original Documents from folder 170: Pearson-Quillen 1906-1907
- 172: Excused Absences 1907 (Ca 500 discarded)
- a: 118 formal excuse forms filled out by various students for the year 1907.
- 173: Ramey-Robeson 1906-1907
- a: Letters referring to changes in the plumbing for the Dairy Department of the
Agricultural building and the costs of the change, 1906.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Union Blacking Co. Inc., 1906.
- c: Breakdown of students and their religion as answers to questions posed by the
General Secretary, Chas. A. Reese, 1906.
- d: Notable letterhead from The United States Wood Preserving Company,
Manufacturers of U.S. Wood Blocks, 1906.
- e: Correspondence in reference to a possible opening in an instructors position,
- f: Notable letterhead from "The Antlers," at Colorado Springs, 1906.
- g: Letter to Mr. F. L. Robeson stating his appointment to instructor in the
mathematic department, and discussion of the benefits and salary, 1906.
- h: Notable letterhead from the Electric Bank Protection Company, 1906.
- i: Letter accompanied with program for the Mississippi Agricultural and
Mechanical College Cadet band concert, 1906.
- j: Letter from Mr. Robeson accepting the position and the offer made to him to
become a mathematics instructor at V.P.I., 1906.
- 174: Salder-Snyder 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Letter from the Assistant Secretary for the Department of Agriculture in D.C.,
recommending the candidate, Professor E.P. Sandsten to succeed Director
- b: Letter from the Clark Teachers' Agency making recommendations for the open
position of Dean and Director of the Virginia College of Agriculture,
- c: Letter from the Maryland Agricultural College with recommendation for E.P.
Sandsten for the opening in the Agriculture department at V.P.I., 1907.
- d: Letter referring to a short course and the way to get farmers to attend, 1907.
- e: Letter from W.D. Saunders about the exposition and how V.P.I. is doing, also a
personal request regarding the poor servant help he and his wife were
- f: Letter from the Roanoke Industrial and Agricultural Association, 1906 inviting
McBryde to the Great Roanoke Fair, (letter included free passes.)
- g: Letter about the Jamestown Exposition that opens April 26, 1907 and closes
November 30, 1907, (Notable letterhead.)
- i: Letter referring to the Second Convention for the Southern Conference on
Immigration and Quarantine being issued by the Governor Jno. I. Cox,
being held in Nashville, 1906.
- j: Letter from henry E. Shepherd asking for McBryde to promote the sale of his
new book titled The Life of General Robert E. Lee. 1906.
- k: Notable letterhead from the Southern Planter, the leading agricultural journal of
the south, 1907.
- l: Letter from The Sherwin-Williams Co. referring to a sample of Medicinal
Linseed Oil that was sent to V.P.I. for testing, 1907.
- m: Letter to Mr. Stanley Shugert regarding the Honor System at V.P.I., 1907.
- n: Letter and response about waste water runoff onto Mr. Sites property, 1907.
- o: Notable letterhead from Mitchell-Powers Hardware Co. Incorporated, 1907.
- p: Letter covering the expenses for the trip to Jamestown for the exhibition, 1907.
- q: Letter from the president concerning the case of Stolen property from a store
- r: Notable letterhead from the Smoot Advertising Agency, 1906.
- 175: Original Documents from folder 174: Salder-Snyder 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- 176: Sommerville-Syfan 1906-1907 McBryde/Barringer
- a: Letter from Mr. Soule after his resignation in regard to receiving money for services rendered, 1907.
- b: Letter from A.M. Soule confirming the acceptance of his resignation, 1907.
- c: Notable letterhead from the Southern Stamp and Stationary Co., 1906.
- d: Advertisement for rubber stamps for business includes pictures, Watkins-
Cottrell Company, 1909.
- e: Notable letterhead from the Boston Badge Company, 1907.
- f: Complimentary Season ticket to the International Live Stock Exposition
accompanied with a business card form Mr. J.A. Spoor, 1906.
- g: Letter from C.H. Spooner, President at Norwich University urging president at V.P.I. to call congressmen in protest to a legislation "authorizing the
appointment of extra officers in the Army in numbers sufficient to permit
the detail of an officer on the active list to each of the 100 schools and
colleges throughout the United States," 1907.
- h: Letter concerning the same legislation as stated above from the Wentworth
Military academy in Lexington, Mo. 1907.
- i: Notable letterhead from The American Sabbath Union, letter concerning the
change in hours of recitations, and urging Sunday to be a day of rest and
- j: Notable letterhead from The Sterling's Pharmacy, 1906.
- k: Notable letterhead from The Virginia Bridge & Iron Co., 1906
- l: Letter from J.A. Stiver including his experience and educational background
seeking employment as faculty at V.P.I., 1907.
- m: Letter concerning how the expenses are divided on the trips that the boys at
V.P.I. take, in response to a complaint from a parent, 1906.
- n: Letter from P.F. Stout seeking employment at V.P.I. in the Languages, includes
experience and educational background, 1906.
- o: Letter to Gov. Claude A. Swanson in regard to a criminal investigation, letter
presents the information on both sides of the case, 1907.
- p: Letter from the Virginia Governor Swanson inviting the V.P.I. cadets to be in a parade at the unveiling of the monument dedicated to President Davis in Richmond, 1907.
- 177: Original Documents from folder 176: Sommerville-Syfan 1906-1907
- 178: Talbott-VanCourt 1906-1907
- a: Letter from M.K.Taliaferro, with suggestions on how to run the library so it is more useful, 1905.
- b: Notable letterhead from The Decatur Chamber of Commerce with map on the
back, and photographs of different buildings.
- c: Letter in reference to changing the attitude at V.P.I. toward having more respect for agriculture
- d: Notable letterhead from the Bugle V.P.I., 1907.
- e: Paper titled, "A Plain Talk on Education." Compliments faculty and the
education received at V.P.I. stating that V.P.I. should be a model school in
every detail for learning engineering, 1905.
- f: Notable official letterhead from the Bugle, 1907.
- g: Notable letterhead from the Vermont Farm Machine Co., 1906.
- 179: Original Documents from folder 178: Talbott-VanCourt 1906-1907
- 180: Wade-Watkins 1906-1907
- a: Letter concerning a sales person on campus violating his contract to only sell books, 1906.
- b: Letter referring to a woman having Hysterical Paralysis and a discussion of
cases in Europe, 1907.
- c: Letter to McBryde from F.S.Walker requesting a recommendation for a job as
principal of the new State Agricultural College for the Sixth Georgia
- d: Letter from G.F. Walters Bureau of Navigation, Navy Department requesting a circular that was sent out regarding the building of Dairy Barns, 1907.
- e: Letter from the United States Power Depot, O.B. Witeman Lt. Col., 1907.
- f: Series of letters and circulars concerning ordinances and the War Department.
- g: Circulars from the War Department office of the Chief of Ordinance pertaining
to the "Act to amend Section 1225 of revised statutes, so as to provide for
detail of retires officers of the Army and Navy to assist in Military
- h: Notable letterhead from the First National Bank, 1906.
- i: Notable letterhead from the Northwest Farm and Home, North Yakima,
- j: Letter to Dr. Barringer from J.B. Watkins in reference to a Horticulture meeting
which had a resolution to request the Legislature to amend or repeal the
Present Crop Pest Law, 1907.
- 181: McBryde, President John
- a: Miscellaneous letters directed to McBryde from parents of students.
- b: Letter from Mrs Sykes about son's language classes. The 3rd quoted letter in
the book The First 100 Years: A history of V.P.I. by Duncan Lyle
- c: Letter from a mother, the 8th quoted letter in the previously mentioned
- d: Letter from a farmer, is the 16th letter quoted in the previously mentioned publication, 1892.
- e: Letter from J.H. Squires in regards to his returning to finish his education after being discharged, 1904.
- f: Letter from a former student, the 11th quoted letter in the previously mentioned publication, 1903.
- 182: Hazing 1899-1905
- a: The contents of this folder are in folder 223 in box 7 of the McBryde Collection
- 183: Womack-Wing and Son 1906-1907
- a: Letter addressed to Barringer from a distant relative, Margaret Miller Webb regarding her son, 1907.
- b: Notable letterhead from Weber Steel-Concrete Chimney Co., 1907.
- c: Letter from the Chairman Executive Committee in Athens Georgia asking
questions of V.P.I.'s income, size and governmental relations being a Land-
Grant college, 1906. Following is a response with all the answers.
- d: Letter regarding financial difficulties being the hold-up in fixing the problems
with lighting and heat at V.P.I., 1907.
- e: Correspondence with Edgar C. Wiley about the improvement of light, heat and power plant at V.P.I., 1907.
- f: Letter to Mr. A.D. Williams as he was being appointed assistant in Civil
- g: Letter concerning the sleeping arrangements made for the cadets for the
Jamestown Exposition, 1907.
- h: Letter to Mr. H.H.Wilson as he was being given a place as assistant in Civil
Engineering, 1906, along with his letter of interest and several letters of
- i: Notable letterhead from Wing & Son, 1906.
- 184: Winton-Zerkel 1906-1907
- a: Letter to a parent concerning the infirmary fees, 1907.
- b: Letter concerning the resignation of Dr. Soule,1907.
- c: Letter to Mr. Wood stating that he had been re-appointed an instructor in
biology and horticulture, 1906.
- d: Letter to Mr. H. Worthington about his re-appointment to instructor in the
modern language department, 1906.
- e: Notable letterhead from E.A. Wright, 1907.
- 185: McBryde, Annual Report, 1905
- 186: Investigation June 7th 1902
Return to University Archive home
Return to Special Collections home page.
Last updated on July 18, 1997
For questions or comments to Tamara Kennelly: