Special Collections collects, preserves, and provides access to more than 1600 manuscript collections including personal and professional papers, correspondence, business papers and ledgers, family papers, architectural drawings, legal documents, maps, photographs, oral histories, and other ephemera.
If you have a more specific topic please search these subject guides
Some notable collections include:
- Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia, Ms85-004
- Bishop William H. Marmion papers, Ms1986-013
- Michael Collins Papers, Ms89-029, astronaut for NASA's Gemini and Apollo programs and command module pilot for Apollo XI, the first lunar landing mission
- Christopher C. Kraft, Jr. Papers, Ms1985-001, former director of the Johnson Space Center
- Robert Marshak Papers, Ms1988-060, sub-atomic physicist and Virginia Tech professor
- The Civil War letters of Dr. Harvey Black, Ms74-003, of Blacksburg, Virginia, a Confederate surgeon for the Fourth Virginia Infantry and the Second Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia
- Han Schroeder Papers, Ms87-064, an architect and interior designer born in the Netherlands. Images from this collection are available online in the VT Imagebase.
- Earl Palmer Collection, Ms89-025, Appalachian photographer. Images from this collection are available online in the VT Imagebase.
The Special Collections staff invites inquiries about the Manuscript Collections, as well as the University Archives, rare book collection, and historical photograph and map collections.
Aaron Purcell, Director, Special Collections