Temple, Harry Downing
Papers, 1970s-90s, 8.0 cu. ft., Ms88-039
History/Scope and Content:
Harry Downing Temple was born in Elizabeth City County (now Hampton), Virginia, on October 24, 1911, and reared in Petersburg, Virginia. He attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute as a member of the Corps of Cadets from 1930 to 1934, and graduated with a bachelor of science degree in industrial engineering. He served as a professional officer of the U.S. Army and participated in World War II and the Korean War, rising to the rank of Colonel. From 1961 to 1966 he headed the Army's Institute of Heraldry, and designed the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He retired from the Army in 1966.
Temple began his research for a book about the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets in the mid- 1970s, and retired to Blacksburg, Virginia, in 1988 to be closer to the archival materials necessary for his research. Volume I of The Bugle's Echo, which chronicle's the years between 1872 and 1900, was published by the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Alumni, Inc., in 1996. Volume II, with details about the years between 1900 and 1912, was published in 1998. Publication of volumes III through VI are forthcoming.
The collection consists of manuscript drafts written by Temple for The Bugle's Echo, with photocopies from original documents and published sources, as well as prints from the photographs used in the book (located in Boxes 1P-6P).
The manuscripts and photographs for The Bugle's Echo were donated in 1998 by Harry D. Temple. The papers were reboxed and organized by Sarah Gouger, student assistant, and Laura Katz Smith, Manuscripts Curator, Special Collections Department, in September 1998. Donation of manuscript drafts for volumes IV through VI are expected in the future.
Manuscripts for The Bugle's Echo
- Box 1: Volume 1 (Chapters 1-21), signature file, expenses, pre-1872, 1872 to 1892
- Box 2: Volume 1 (Chapters 22-30), 1892 to 1900
- Box 3: Volume 2, 1900 to 1907
- Box 4: Volume 2, 1908 to 1912
- Box 5: Volume 3, 1913 to 1918
- Box 6: Volume 3, 1918 to 1920
Photographs for The Bugle's Echo
- Box 1P: Photographs, Volume 1, Chapters 1-21, pre-1872 to 1892
- Box 2P: Photographs, Volume 1, Chapters 22-27, 1892 to 1898
- Box 3P: Photographs, Volume 1, Chapters 28-30, 1889 to 1900
- Box 4P: Photographs, Volume 2, Chapters 31-36, 1900 to 1906; negatives of color plates from volumes 1 and 2
- Box 5P: Photographs, Volume 2, Chapters 37-38, 1906 to 1908
- Box 6P: Photographs, Volume 2, Chapters 39-42, 1908 to 1912
Send questions and comments (about the collections in the University Libraries of Virginia Tech only, please) to:
Special Collections Department