University Libraries, Virginia Tech
The front cover from 1898 The Bugle, the Virginia Tech yearbook
Visit The Bugle Archive
Special Collections is located in Carol M. Newman Library at Virginia Tech. Special Collections includes manuscript collections, rare books, and the University Archives. The collection also contains state, local and historical maps and photographs. Our mission is to collect and preserve unique, historical materials and provide access to them in their original form. When possible, Special Collections also offers materials in digital format.
Special Collections is always working on new tools and resources. Here's where you can find more about about us and our collections:
- Search Virginia Heritage, a state-wide portal for manuscript and archival collections. Limit your search to "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" to search only our finding aids.
- Search the library catalog for our publications and collections.
- Special Collections Online highlights our digital collections and exhibits.
These guides identify resources about specific research topics in Special Collections and beyond.
- Special Collections: A Basic Introduction covers the resources and services we provide.
- Food & Drink History Resources @Virginia Tech (and Beyond)
- Preston Family Resources
- Local History and Genealogical Research in the University Libraries
- Virginia Tech History Resources and University Archives
- Researching Blacksburg, Virginia, History
Find Us on Social Media!
Aaron Purcell, Director, Special Collections
Marc Brodsky, Public Services and Reference Archivist
Kira Dietz, Acquisitions and Processing Archivist
Rebecca Fitzsimmons, Women of Design Grant, Project Manager
John Jackson, Archives Assistant
Tamara Kennelly, University Archivist
Laurel Rozema, Processing and Special Projects Archivist
Adrienne Serra, Technical Archivist
Jade Snelling, Women of Design Grant, Digitization Specialist
Sam Winn, Collections Archivist
Anthony Wright de Hernandez, Community Collections Archivist