The University Archives collects, preserves, and provides access to materials documenting the history and development of the university and its various components.
Example materials in the University Archives include
- Official records of the university president and Board of Visitors;
- Publications, papers, and born digital materials from departments, offices, and centers of the university;
- Theses and dissertations;
- Historical photographs and campus maps; and
- Vertical files containing ephemera and newspaper clippings.
- Record Groups
The university records are organized by Record Group (RG) number. A complete list of the University Archives is available below to help researchers search for these materials by departments, offices, and university entities as well as subjects. Each RG number applies to a department, office, university entity, and individual administrators. Each RG also identifies whether the number has a vertical file or mounted clipping file (newspaper clippings, flyers, press releases, and other ephemera); an archival collection (official records) and finding aid; or another related resource, such as a departmental newsletter or annual report.
The Record Group list is available as a sortable Excel spreadsheet and PDF version of the spreadsheet and as a Word doc and PDF in RG number order:
Several resources are available online:
- Use the search box on the home page to find Record Group archival collections, university history collections, and related digital material.
- Virginia Tech History Resources and University Archives Research Guide
- Virginia Tech April 16, 2007, Archives of the University Libraries
- Visit Online Collections & Exhibits for digital collections and exhibits related to the University Archives, university history, and other Special Collections and University Archives collecting areas.
- Archived University Archives website and exhibits on Archive-It.org